Anything better than Fulcrum racing 7

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
As the title really.
Basically my winter wheels are knackered so I need to replace them as well as a new cassette.
My budget is around £100 as I will be getting a new road bike shortly with carbon clinchers so these will be purely winter/bad weather wheels.

Anything to suggest other than fulcrum racing 7 which are £115 and then £10 off at wiggle at the moment.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Shimano RS11 are a solid set if a bit on the heavy side. They have servicable hubs too. Get for around 100.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    If winter use is the aim then I'd stick with Shiamano and their easily serviced bearings. My Fulcrum 7's didn't make it through their first Autumn, never mind winter.

The Fulcrum's rode nicer than the R501's I replaced them with of the RS11's I use as my every day wheels now but that's a mute point when they proved themselves to be unreliable.
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    I would go for Shimano RS010.
    Shimano-WH-RS010-CL-Laufradsatz-schwarz-28-Satz-VR-HR-Draht-Shimano-Rotor-40030-118997-1481256886.jpeg

Question concerning Fulcrum Racing 7:
    How is one supposed to true the wheel when most of the R7's spokes are round and have a straight head?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The main drawback of the Shimano wheels is that they still haven't updated their main models to reflect the current trend for wider rims. I have found moving to wider rims (matched with 25s) to be a real eye opener in terms of road handling and comfort, both of which are a real blessing when it comes to getting out on winter rides. Well, actually they are a blessing for any ride at any time of the year. I just don't get why Shimano have taken so long to get on the train. Hence, for the cash, the 7 LGs are hard to beat.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have got the 7 LGs on my winter bike, only done 3,000 miles on them, but that is only in poor conditions or commuting.
    I don't give them much care and attention but they are still running very well for me.
  • R7 are good... cheap and durable bearing size and very easy to service them as well, which is a bonus in a world of stupid engineering solutions aimed at making things impossible to fix.
    left the forum March 2023
  • beanstalk wrote:
    I would go for Shimano RS010.
    Shimano-WH-RS010-CL-Laufradsatz-schwarz-28-Satz-VR-HR-Draht-Shimano-Rotor-40030-118997-1481256886.jpeg

Question concerning Fulcrum Racing 7:
    How is one supposed to true the wheel when most of the R7's spokes are round and have a straight head?

hoping they are not seized. If they are you can grab the spoke with a pair of pliers.
    left the forum March 2023
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Another vote for the shimano. Their hubs are very good and easy to service.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    What's 'knackered' about them? If they are out of true, any LBS worth it's salt should be able to sort them out easily and cheaply (unless new spokes are needed) and the bearings are very cheap and easy to replace yourself. If the rims are worn then, yes, it's time to throw them away and the same might also be said if the freehub is broken rather than just in need of a bit of TLC. How much mileage did you get out of the current wheels? If it was good enough, you might as well just get another pair of Fulcrum 7s, albeit the current (and wider) version.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I have done thousands on my Fulcrum 7s and still spin fine and run true. Used for winter training and all weather commuting so subject of lots of abuse. Totally bullet proof. Too bullet proof in fact, was hoping they would break so I can get a LG set!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Another vote for the Shimano RS11's, I have chucked these on my winter bike and they ride fine with 25mm tyres on them.

Serviced the rear hub bearings recently and it was a very easy job, running smooth as anything now.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!