Did stupid. Need wheel help.

Peddleville
Peddleville Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello. I've lurked a long time because everything was answered with a quick search.
I bought a road bike (09 Kuota Kharma) because it was brand new and cheaper than upgrading the Tiagra drivetrain on my Norco Threshold. The Kharma is beautiful, but from my reading on here the RS10 wheelset may not be up to the bumpy roads and 200 yards of unpaved path I need to take on my commute in. Would Mavic Aksium Elite wheels be a step up? Does anyone have experience with the Aksium Elite? Thanks.

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Unless you're a very big lad, I'd say the RS10s will be fine. Shimano wheels are strong. They're also (at this level) really really cheap, so you can treat them as consumables. If the roads (or you) really are too rough for RS10s, you'll need some 36-spoke handbuilts, not factory wheels.

Do fit the fattest tyres your frame will take, and choose a suitable model of tyre for the conditions you face.

That said, I've ridden, albeit usually not intentionally, plenty of farm tracks and cobbles on Enve 45s with 22mm Competition tubs - bikes are tough.
  • I am 185#. So definitely in the top end of what most wheels like. Road stuff seems to cost an arm and leg here in Canada.
  • I'm a big fat b@stard and I've used a set of RS11s (the 11sp compatible successor to RS10, which apart from the freewheel body is identical) for the last 3 years, over about 8000km.

The roads I use around Edinburgh & West Lothian are, broadly speaking, smashed-up garbage resembling a post-apocalyptic wateland, and in that time I've popped just one spoke - which I caught on the gate when wheeling my bike up the path.

Apart from replacing that spoke, the wheels have required no maintenance or truing and are still in excellent condition. Lack of clearance means I'm limited to 25s (23s with mudguards!) so combined with the downforce of my vast @rse, they take a lot of punishment. I'd say they're bomb-proof & easily capable of handling what the OP describes.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    185 what? If it's kilograms then maybe you do have a problem... otherwise relax. I'm nearly 200 somethings and regularly bunny-hop obstacles on pretty standard wheels (and 23mm tyres, too)

As for you Edinburgh smoothies, seriously? You complain about the billiard tables you have round there? ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you will be fine. Just get wider tyres.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Hello. I've lurked a long time because everything was answered with a quick search.
    I bought a road bike (09 Kuota Kharma) because it was brand new and cheaper than upgrading the Tiagra drivetrain on my Norco Threshold. The Kharma is beautiful, but from my reading on here the RS10 wheelset may not be up to the bumpy roads and 200 yards of unpaved path I need to take on my commute in. Would Mavic Aksium Elite wheels be a step up? Does anyone have experience with the Aksium Elite? Thanks.

Hunt wheels? They have the strengthened version. And go tubeless.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a pair of RS10s that are coming up for 10 years old. I do a lot of night riding, and that invariably means hitting potholes and road debris hidden by water, leaves, or the lights of oncoming traffic. One impact was so hard I was sure I'd broken my wrist, and another time I pinch flatted front and rear in the same pothole (reminder to self to check tyre pressures before venturing out). And last summer they did about 5 miles of bone-jarring cyclocross courtesy of my demented Garmin Touring.

I've never had to true them, and I've only lost one spoke which was on the rear drive side and almost certainly damaged when the chain went off the back of the cassette.

So I'd say fit the widest tyres you can and give them a fair chance, they are tougher than they look.
  • keef66
    Oh, and if you do stick with them, take the time to service the cup and cone bearings at least annually. The hubs are good, but the seals not infallible.
  • Thank for all the replies. From what I've read I'm going to stick with these and put some 25 gatorskins on and go from there. I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Good plan as the askiums are no better at being a wheel than the rs10's
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Do I read it correctly that you bought a brand new bike that has been sat around for 8 years or so?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • That is 100% correct. Someone bought a bike. Rode it about 200 yards and then left it in their basement. Still has all the nubs on the tires. It's an 09 Kuota Kharma. Has 105 everything. Grabbed it for $540 Canadough or £330
  • keef66
    That is 100% correct. Someone bought a bike. Rode it about 200 yards and then left it in their basement. Still has all the nubs on the tires. It's an 09 Kuota Kharma. Has 105 everything. Grabbed it for $540 Canadough or £330

Then as long as it's the right size, you have yourself an utter bargain there! This side of the pond you'd pay that just for a 105 groupset now.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 2017
    That is 100% correct. Someone bought a bike. Rode it about 200 yards and then left it in their basement. Still has all the nubs on the tires. It's an 09 Kuota Kharma. Has 105 everything. Grabbed it for $540 Canadough or £330

Fair play, sounds like a good deal!

And to comment on the original post, I have at least two pairs of Shimano R500\1 wheels, which never seem to go out of true, and were used for commuting at one point - one pair were even second hand.
    And also had a pair of RS30's which were perfect aside from being a bit heavy, sold these last summer when I managed to get some Superstar components 30mm rim versions in white, which were 400g lighter.

So in summary, I think your RS10's are well up to the job.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks Daniel B. That's the idea I'm getting as I read more through here. I've always bought my mountain bikes and tossed tires and rims as they always seemed like something that was there to make sure I could easily wheel it to my car or just get me home from the shop. With the speed at which things progress it's very nice to have a forum and community to not be afraid to come ask these questions.