Helmet fitting and size

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Seems an easy thing to get 'right' but I'm having issues getting a road specific helmet to fit. My head is an odd shape - it's naturally aero ;) like a peanut with a bulge at the rear. This means that back of the helmets can feel like they dig in a little. If I wear a medium sized helmet correctly, I'm at the point where my head at the back feels unprotected, but the forehead is properly fitting. I can tighten the rear adjust snugly by a single twist and the helmet looks like the right size.

If I then try a large, they look massive on me and im generally tightening up the inner clasps and rear to nearly full! I do feel like the rear of my head is adequately protected this way though?

I also read somewhere that when in between sizes, go for the smaller, tighter fitting.

Helmets I've tried so far are Specialized Evade, Giro Synthe and I've bought a Bontrager Ballista with MIPS in Medium.

I've spent over £700 is helmets so far and all have the tags in!

Any advice?
Thanks
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• I'd get yourself to a bike shop to try them on before you buy a helmet. That way you won't have new ones lying around.

I have the kask protone and rate it v highly. I'm usually on the cusp of M/L and find that the M in the protone fits me with adjustment either way.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Always pretty essential with something like a helmet to try them on in person in a shop.I have a Kask mojito and its really comfortale,seems to get a lot of great reviews too.
    But would recommend a shop visit,a bit of fuel on a trip is going to cost a lot less in the long run.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Did you return those helmets with the Tags??

Looks like you really having issues. Same as me having issues with most sun glasses.

Unfortunately I can't be much of a help but can't help wondering what you did with those helmets with tags still on?

Maybe you need some kind of custom made helmets. Not sure they exist.
  • They're all ready to be shipped back for refunds.

I've just been notified the evade in medium is ready to collect. I'm trying these on at home to compare in my own time. Most shops don't seem to carry much stock so the best bet is to order from the usual suppliers and return for free.

It does seem that most road helmets leave the back of your head slightly exposed?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    They're all ready to be shipped back for refunds.

I've just been notified the evade in medium is ready to collect. I'm trying these on at home to compare in my own time. Most shops don't seem to carry much stock so the best bet is to order from the usual suppliers and return for free.

It does seem that most road helmets leave the back of your head slightly exposed?

Hmm I have POC helmet with MIPS (and a lot of other ones too including Kask) and POC does seem to give a good back coverage.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How do you mean exposed ? I've never felt exposed with any helmet - the rear part does stick out a bit ?

What helmet do you wear now ?
  • I'm wearing a Garnaeu Medium at the minute and rear on that around the retention clasp feels a little exposed too. I guess all the focus is on making sure your forehead and side temples are protected though?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Honestly, the only way anyone here could advise is if you're brave enough to post some photos... from your OP I can't really visualise your problem to be honest...

...otherwise hit the LBS and buy from them!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I'm wearing a Garnaeu Medium at the minute and rear on that around the retention clasp feels a little exposed too. I guess all the focus is on making sure your forehead and side temples are protected though?

Well I guess its probably most likely that you'd hit those areas - but it would be an odd crash to hit the bottom of the head thats not protected by the helmet ? It can't be too bulky there or it'd get in the way.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have a Kask Protone (in medium) and find that my head sits pretty deep into it and the retention system on the rear is moveable up/down so you can place it in the optimum position before tightening with the click wheel.