Richmond Park - Ice or Nice

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
Quick one, hows Richmond Park to ride at the moment following the "cold" spell?
Planning to head there tomorrow eve for a few laps after work but don't fancy sliding around on any ice!
I noticed a few frozen over puddles on my way in this morning and I know the park always seems a few degrees colder than the rest of London.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Was icy on Monday but I still managed a couple of laps. Took it very steady down Broomhill.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Be ok today, no sign of anything untoward this morning. Didn't drop anywhere near zero last night.

Tomorrow morning and overnight Thursday to Friday forecast to be pretty cold again though.
  • Thanks!

I'll give it a go. Met office feels like -1. Fun!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Was fine this am. Generally it's well gritted no matter the temperature, but I'm always especially cautious on the Richmond Gate roundabout heading in the (correct) clockwise direction, having gone down there last January--despite seeing 2 similarly situated chaps rubber side up on the approach.
  • Dyrlac wrote:
    Was fine this am. Generally it's well gritted no matter the temperature, but I'm always especially cautious on the Richmond Gate roundabout heading in the (correct) clockwise direction, having gone down there last January--despite seeing 2 similarly situated chaps rubber side up on the approach.

Have to pick you up on saying that the long way round (clockwise) is the correct way.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dyrlac wrote:

Have to pick you up on saying that the long way round (clockwise) is the correct way.

No, we are the People's Front of Judea, they are the People's Judean Front.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Just been, it's fine - a bit greasy in places, but nothing unusual. Lot of deer near the roads...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    If it's slippery beware the roundabout by Kingston gate when going clockwise. I think the fact that it can get very greasy added to the off camber corner catches people out. Seen a few come a cropper there.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    If it's slippery beware the roundabout by Kingston gate when going clockwise. I think the fact that it can get very greasy added to the off camber corner catches people out. Seen a few come a cropper there.

To a lesser extent that is true of Richmond gate roundabout as well. That and folks just overcooking it.
  • Well I survived, and no ice!
    Very cold and forgot overshoes so totally frozen toes!