First Road Bike - Cannondale CAAD 8 Claris

davidjg25
davidjg25 Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everybody!

Thanks for accepting me to this forum >D

I’m about to buy my first road bike and I need a little bit of advice if it’s not much to ask, cos I’m a completely newcomer in this complex and fascinating world hehe

I’m a 26yo 1.90m tall guy that I´ve cycling for the last 2 years a cheap mountain bike every day. Mainly to go to work every day (takes me about 15min), and eventually some mountain routes in summer time, not longer than 4h.
And well, I’ve decided that it’s time to change to a road bike, cos I feel like I’m a completely stupid riding a mountain bike inside the city every day, seeing every moment road bike cyclists that surpass me soooo easily haha. And as well, would like to “eventually” try my first road routes about 3/5h to other cities. So basically the idea is buying a road bike to be more comfortable riding inside the city (although I live in Bristol, and the roads are in quite bad shape, with quite a lot of potholes and irregularities on the ground), and some weekend trips.

So I’ve seen an offer for a Cannondale CAAD 8 in a website, the model Claris, for 350£, and I’ve been reading that’s a good starter bike, and this price is more or less what I want to spend. I know it’s not the best of the best, but I’m not looking for something professional, just to go work and going out some weekends. So I come to this forum for advice if it’s a good choice or if I should go for another model. I’ve been reading about this bike that it’s a “race bike”, and maybe the position as well is quite racer (more inclined than usual), and this two things are something that scares me a little bit, cos I’m used to be more straight in the city, and well, don’t know if do you recommend to go for it.

I link the website of the Cannondale caad8 if anybody wants to see the tech specs, and as well the upper models of the CAAD 8 if u feel necessary to compare if it worth’s the money.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323873/products/cannondale-caad8-claris-8-2016-road-bike-black.aspx
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323951/products/cannondale-caad8-sora-7-2016-road-bike-black.aspx

Comments

• tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    I am only replying to get you back on the first page - I'm still very new to this myself.

I bought (second hand) a CAAD8 105 about 6 months ago. In that time I've clocked up about 2000km on it. Mostly rides of 1-2 hours long, with the odd longer ride (4-5 hours.)

Personally I've found it comfortable over those distances - it is racy in geometry I gather but it's not uncomfortable.

What would concern me about those links above is the groupset. Claris->Sora->Tiagra->105->Ultegra is how it goes - Claris is the lowest level. I've heard a number of people suggesting Tiagra as a minimum, if not 105. And if you're looking to do long mountain routes I'd imagine that having good gearing is going to be important.

As for alternatives...no idea, but I paid £350 for my 105 second hand, so that may be worthy of consideration.

And whatever you get budget for some decent 25c tyres if your roads locally are anything other than smooth.
  • For what it's worth, I've got a CAAD8 from 2013. Tiagra spec for £750. I love it. So much so that I was thinking about buying the very same model that you mentioned above to get a spare frame - the CAAD8 has now been discontinued and replaced with the Optimo, which has the same (racier) geometry as the CAAD12 that won't suit me. The CAAD8 seems to sit between the racier models (e.g. CAAD12) and the endurance style (e.g. Synapse, Giant Defy).

But I would stress that it's important to get a bike that suits you and your dimensions - try and test ride. If you discover the bike doesn't suit you, the risk is you'll have wasted £350 and maybe put yourself off road bikes altogether.

Knowing what I know now, I think it's a steal at £350 (for my dimensions) - although of course this may not apply for you.

And I agree with the poster above - I wouldn't worry too much about it being Claris. You can always upgrade the groupset and wheels/tyres in time. The frame would deserve it.
  • Thank you very much for your advices.

I think I´ll go for it. I fell in love with this bike when i saw it when i was cycling around, and I think if i don´t buy it ill regret it. As you say I´m always in time to upgrade the components, that are very low-level, but that frame it´s the heart of this bike.

Thank you!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    First bike is always a toe in the water job. Ride it , as youre riding you will find out what is important to you