Mallorca bike purchase

Broomfield
Broomfield Posts: 5
edited March 2017 in Road general
Hi, Can anyone give any info on buying an ex-rental bike in Mallorca, Puerto Pollenca to be exact.
Dont want to spend a fortune but would like a bike I can leave over there to be used 3 or 4 weeks a year. Was hoping for something for about 600 Euros maximum. Or am I being optimistic.

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Hi
    I was going to buy a bike from Max Hurzeler in July, but it's complicated. YOU have to arrange a courier to pick the bike up from the shop in Mallorca. - I asked WHY don't you just charge folk the £50 or £60 on top of the bike purchase ? . If they are going to offer you to purchase the bike then make it easier for the customer ??? - I decided to leave it as there a bit of a language barrier and guy that dealt with me sounded like Prof Stephen Hawking :D
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    does it have to be puerto pollensa? I have dealt with cyclista nearer the airport at playa de palma a couple of times and would imagine they will do what you want.
    http://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/home
    I have given you the link because I always have to look hard for them on the web. perhaps their web presence is better in austrian. they speak perfect english.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • I have club mates who have bought bikes from Pro Cycle Hire after riding them. The club always uses this shop for their training week hire and everyone speaks highly of them, I've never ridden there so can't comment personally, except sometimes you can get someone on the phone who is a little less than helpful. Their current ex-rentals are over budget but I think they have quite a high turnover.

Apparently the Cafe has some brilliant bikes in. I would give them a ring and see if they are likely to have something in your range.
  • Avoid 2gocycling bikes, even the bikes they hire out are in a shocking state
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Where would you leave it?
  • bigjim wrote:

Behind a bush?!

You can get some great deals on ex-rental bikes as there are loads of them and few buyers.

My brother in law (works on the yachts in Palma) bought an ex-rental Canyon alu/Ultegra for a few hundred quid.
  • bigjim
    bigjim wrote:

Behind a bush?!

You can get some great deals on ex-rental bikes as there are loads of them and few buyers.

My brother in law (works on the yachts in Palma) bought an ex-rental Canyon alu/Ultegra for a few hundred quid.
    You still need to store it somewhere. I used to keep a bike over there, but unless you are staying in the same place every trip it makes it hard to retrieve it. I stay all over Mallorca so I can get the best accommodation deal and also ride different areas.
  • bigjim wrote:
    You still need to store it somewhere. I used to keep a bike over there, but unless you are staying in the same place every trip it makes it hard to retrieve it. I stay all over Mallorca so I can get the best accommodation deal and also ride different areas.[/quote]

OP might have a place out there? Although I doubt it just for 3-4 weeks a year.

Several factors you have to weigh up. e.g. Taking your own bike - Ideal if you're flying out once and staying for a month. Not ideal if your 4 weeks is split across 4 seperate trips.

Hiring a bike - There's the cost and hassle of pick up and drop off and facing a hefty repair bill if you ding it, but means no storage and transport problems.

Buying and storing - Large up front cost but once you have it it's yours and set up just so. But where do you put it and a lot to invest on a bike you aren't going to ride that much.
  • I know there are all kinds of different lock-ups and storage solutions around Palma airport. Not sure of the cost, but doubt it'd be much for a small space.

Could be cost effective if you're doing several trips to Mallorca per year to just pick it up on your arrival.

It's definitely more pleasant and stress free to fly with just hand baggage and pick up your bike 'sur place'.
  • bigjim
    I know there are all kinds of different lock-ups and storage solutions around Palma airport. Not sure of the cost, but doubt it'd be much for a small space.

Could be cost effective if you're doing several trips to Mallorca per year to just pick it up on your arrival.

It's definitely more pleasant and stress free to fly with just hand baggage and pick up your bike 'sur place'.
    I totally agree how much more pleasant it is to fly without the bike and I always rent if possible. I even managed it in Portugal last year. I don't know about local lockups as I'm not good at reading Spanish but would have thought it would still cost more than renting, considering insurance, rates etc. Plus arriving late at night and having to ride to your hotel. I also, being a cautious wimp where carbon is concerned, don't like the idea of a bike that has had a season of hard riding without knowing how it has been stressed or dropped with hidden failure points. With a rental they are usually pretty new. I've had them straight out of the box. You can insure against damage, theft for about €10 at point of hire.
  • bigjim wrote:
    You can insure against damage, theft for about €10 at point of hire.

Can you? I haven't encountered a Mallorca hire company which will insure against theft. A lot (e.g. Canyon Base) won't even insure against damage.
  • bigjim
    bigjim wrote:
    You can insure against damage, theft for about €10 at point of hire.

Can you? I haven't encountered a Mallorca hire company which will insure against theft. A lot (e.g. Canyon Base) won't even insure against damage.
    Yup. Paid it in Alcudia and Cala Millor at least. The one in Cala was a brand new Pinarello so taking no chances. Slept at the side of the dam thing. :)
  • Quite surprised.

I think there would definitely be hire clients that would happily pay 10E so that they could leave their 5000E hire bike outside the restaurant, at the top of beach and not worry about it......Good deal for them, not so good for the hire company....
  • bigjim
    Quite surprised.

I think there would definitely be hire clients that would happily pay 10E so that they could leave their 5000E hire bike outside the restaurant, at the top of beach and not worry about it......Good deal for them, not so good for the hire company....
    I can't remember and probably did not read the small print but there was probably some sort of clause where you would be responsible for the first few hundred or something. Bike hire is getting like car hire with the extras being touted. Paying for SPDs, helmets, extra Ins and the new one where you have to pay for the bike to be washed if it is not clean enough on return.
    I think rental costs have increased in line with the baggage charges for bikes. Even the Hopper bus is now charging for bikes which they never used to.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I know there are all kinds of different lock-ups and storage solutions around Palma airport. Not sure of the cost, but doubt it'd be much for a small space.

.........especially if Iberia leave your bike behind, don't tell you what has happened on their 'famous' WorldTrace system, then constantly lie about where it is on the island and then you find out it was still in Gatwick all along. Then try claiming compensation for the bike hire cost - they make it as difficult as possible.
    Not that I'm still bitter about it, one year on.
  • Thanks for all your help people. I have an apartment in Pollenca so no problem storing the bike. Have looked at lots of options now but Pro cycle have some good bikes albeit they are not cheap.
    Going later in the year so will have another look around then. Niu wave in Alcudia have some good offers as well but just have to be lucky and catch them at the right time. Just missed out in Feb, sold a great bike 2 hours before I got there for 500 Euros.