Need advice on buying a new bike

NRDPXL
NRDPXL Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm here just because I'm lost so I need second, third, fourth etc opinion.
The story started when I decided to save some nickels for a new bike, as I feel it's time to upgrade. I'm looking for a bigger clearance (35-40mm) disc brakes, ability to put mudguards, racks could be a really nice thing to have as an option, and inner cabling. Basically I'm looking for the bike to rule them all.

Currently I'm trying to decide between Genesis Datum 20 vs Mason Bokeh as they share similar price range. My biggest fears are, that Bokeh have some external cables, but I think in the future (4-5 years) there will be possibility upgrade to eTap or whatever tap as it will drop the price and technology will go further. Datum has carbon frame and as far as I found on the internet this kind of frame its not the best option to go touring etc. also, I'm not sure about the weight, as it looks bit heavier than Bokeh.

I wish for a bike that I could ride 5-10 years, and I'm not sure if carbon is the best option for that. I know it would be really really helpful to ride them and decide, but I don't have this possibility at least for now or upcoming months. So its really hard to decide. If you could share opinions, reviews from your personal experience ( i've read some reviews on other websites but I would love to hear more of them), and maybe there is other options that I don't know yet?
I would be really thankful for any input!

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Planet X Bish Bash Bosh?

At 1 grand for the bike with hydraulic brakes it seems a very good deal
    left the forum March 2023
  • NRDPXL
    well as i found the reviews on planet x not so good after all.
  • I find site reviews typically useless, even more so Planet X... people moaning about ordering the wrong size... trivialities and very few decent reviews
    Someone on this site has one... it seems a neat bike... not sure about SRAM Apex, which might be a bit of a lottery, in terms of reliability
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    not sure about SRAM Apex, which might be a bit of a lottery, in terms of reliability

Apex is fine. As reliable as any other group.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    So what are you using the bike for? Touring?

Bokeh is not a touring bike? More like a CX.

You already know some of the answers to your own question.

You doubt carbon's durability then why not go for Kinesis GF Ti Disc? It has nearly all the things you want and can go up to 35mm tires.
  • NRDPXL
    Kinesis is nice, but its over my budget, as frame-set is 1800. Usually I use bike for commuting, but now would love to go off-road (gravel, forest terrain) Touring would be nice as maybe this or next year i would love to make few trips or more. As I mentioned it's bit optional, but would be nice to have that option especially for that price. As I imagine I am buying a bike for upcoming 5-6 years. Bokeh as i read from their page is built to fast far adventures, as it has ability to mount racks etc. it could be useful. Also today by accident i found KOGA Colmaro Allroad. It's quite nice but I haven't found any reviews about it and this puts me off a bit.