Is it time to give up?

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    MikeBrew wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Emma, meet Mike Brew, resident Bike Radar troll. Have you worked out how to block people yet?

So in your world it's kinder to let someone who is clearly not suited to road cycling to carry on and injure them self or others, in the interest of being "nice" ? Get a grip. :roll:

your being ridiculous.

the Op is competitive, doesnt want to give up and her 2nd post was whole lot more positive, people trip over things on the stairs and end up in a mortuary, are you saying some people should only live in a bungalow?

its about sticking at something, getting some decent advice and be willing to learn, we all have to start somewhere - its a motor skill, needs to be learnt, its not brain surgery.

i taught my daughter to clip in/out by leaning her against a wall, say on her right side, i d be there as safety net and she d lean away from the wall slide of the saddle and un-clip, if she failed to get her foot out and onto the floor, i caught her, just a 5 or 10 mins each side and then leave it till the following day, always finish on a successful un-clip.
    then progress to a grass area, walking alongside her and then one day... hey presto, its second nature.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    emma154 wrote:
    I've only recently started road cycling but it's not been working out for me and I think I'm going to have to give it up which I will find really sad. I've done a lot of indoor cycling in the past so my fitness is quite good but my problem is clipless pedals. I use these in the gym so am used to them at some level and enjoy the feeling while cycling but I know if I continue to use them on the road I will have a serious accident. I've now had a couple of very near misses and feel I have absolutely no control at slow speeds. It's definitely the clipless pedals at fault as it's not the case with flat pedals. I've honestly tried to use them and have read lots but no amount of practising has helped. The experienced folks out there will probably say it's all in my head and there is some truth to that (although watching a car wheel rolling inches from your head is hard to forget). But there is still a skill and I certainly don't have it. I thought I'd just use flats from now on but as far as I can see that's not really an option for road cycling at the level I want to do it. Although I can get flat pedals I can't find shoes that work for riding multiple hours particularly in winter. Does anyone have any suggestions? At the moment I'm thinking my only options are to use the bike permanently on a turbo or sell it. Whatever you do though please don't suggest having another go at clipless! Unless the bike is stationary I'm never going to attach myself to it. Never.

And trying to discourage people from encouraging someone to take risks that they are clearly not comfortable with[see above] MM. Don't dismiss the intent f trying to help someone avoid injury too lightly old bean... :idea: More pop corn ? :wink:

PS should I be flattered or worried by your "research" into me ? No, I think perhaps you should be more concerned that YOU have nothing better to do with your time.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    edited January 2017
    Hi Emma

Sorry about the negative posts you're getting here. As others have said, please don't pay them any attention, and I apologise that people are saying silly things on this forum - don't let it put you off the forum or put you off cycling. It doesn't happen all the time here...

You could try toeclips on flat cages but with the straps so loose that the clips don't constrain your foot at all - that's how I started many years ago and once I got more confidence, I gradually tightened the straps more and more. There are loads of shoes that you will be able to use with toe clips - road or mtb shoes without the cleats - and several of my friends do so. Anyone who suggests this is not a sensible idea is being crazy - one of my friends hates clipless and only uses toestraps. He still does century sportives in 7 hours or so using them.

Or you could - as others have said - just use flats without clips or straps and don't worry about whether you are wearing the 'right' thing, just find something that works. Mtb shoes will work.

It might be worth visiting a local bike shop if you can get to one and explaining what you want. If you have a friend who knows a bit about cycling, they'll be able to help too.
    Thousands of people use clipless pedals. Some have a confidence issue. It doesn't mean give up all hope it just means find a way to build up confidence in a safe and controlled manner. If someone is a nervous driver on their test does that mean give up and never attempt to drive again?

If thousands of people of all ages and all ability levels can do it anyone can. A bit more self belief is needed. No a dismissive nay sayer. Confront your fears and master them. Running away and giving up on the difficult things in life is the wrong way to go. If we all did that as a species we would still be living in caves.

Although some people on here seem to act like Neanderthals all the same!
  • "I am competitive so admitting defeat is one source of frustration but so was the lack of options after settling on flats." Quote from OP.

Seems to me the OP's second ever post, and last post, is about frustration and wanting to continue cycling. Cycling outdoors for up to 4hours in winter. Rather positive attitude about trying to succeed with clipless but wanting advice on alternatives or just to succeed ( my take on it i guess).

So let's say give up or offer advice. If the OP comes back (and that's not certain considering only 2 posts from her) then i think contributing positively with advice on how to cope with clipless. Or what might work instead. That's what this forum should be about. Giving advice that might have been hard won by those giving it. Mike Brew is a character on the forum. I think he's got attitude, but with this thread it's not the attitude that'll help the OP i think.

I got shimano a520 touring pedals. SPD on one side and a wide platform flats on the other. The flats are slippy in the wet but not too bad. They are comfortable for me with just trainers. Plus i have the option to try out SPDs.

I wear trainers but any cycling shoe could be used. For winter perhaps get a pair half a size bigger to give more room for extra socks. I wear sealskinz with thinner, liner socks. The liners are best high wool content IMHO especially if merino. Soaks up sweat and is nice and warm for the thickness. The sealskinz stop wind getting through. If wet i wear overshoes. Currently thin altura night vision ones i think.

That could get round the problem of finding warm shoes to wear with flats. The clipless problem i can't suggest anything other than find a safe place to practise. Also clip out before you feel really unstable then loosely cruise to a stop or pedal without letting your shoe clip in if that's possible.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Is this it? Is this all you can resort to? Childish name calling. Pathetic is all I can say.

I wouldn't attempt to try and give you a lesson in anything as I know it would be utterly pointless trying to teach you anything. That's not defeatist It is not worth the effort on a lost cause who obviously has no friends and decides to entertain themselves by trolling along on forums on subjects they know nothing about to be of any use to others.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    Is this it? Is this all you can resort to? Childish name calling. Pathetic is all I can say.

I wouldn't attempt to try and give you a lesson in anything as I know it would be utterly pointless trying to teach you anything. That's not defeatist It is not worth the effort on a lost cause who obviously has no friends and decides to entertain themselves by trolling along on forums on subjects they know nothing about to be of any use to others.
    DFTT. You'll never win. It's really very simple.
  • briantrumpet
    I will stop responding to the dullard and let him have his victory dance if that's what he wants.
    Trolls' only victory dance is when people respond - that's all they need. But they win nothing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    emma154 wrote:
    ... I think even those who say clipless are fine would concede falls are more common to start and when they say that's usually ok it means sometimes it's not! Anyway.

I am competitive so admitting defeat is one source of frustration but so was the lack of options after settling on flats. M324 pedals is one I've looked at as I would want to clip in for a turbo trainer but I can also use the flats outside. However footwear is then a problem in winter as it's all geared around clipless. Stiff soled shoes that are warm enough for a 4h ride in winter is something I have struggled to find! One MTB forum suggested army boots for winter for example and that might work but I hoped there would be something better (it's possible but perhaps there's no market for it). Anyway the other frustration was realising that I may end up stuck indoors during the winter when the whole thing was about getting outside. Sorry about that.

Cheapest and easiest option for Winter is 2 pairs of overshoes - stick them over a pair of MTB shoes or trainers with some warm socks inside - I don't agree you need stiff soled shoes or at least I don't I know some disagree but if you do MTB shoes should be fine. I have cycled in walking boots but they are a bit too clumpy.

On clipless I think road pedals are easier as the wide platform is better for unclipping earlier and still having control. Assuming you are still fairly new give it 6 months and I'd be amazed if you don't find it a lot easier - practice stuff like track standing, slow speed control (with flats for now! ) because if ylu can track stand even for 2-3 seconds it gives you confidence that you can unlip.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Op getting used to clipless takes time. I dont know how much time you have given it butbgiven so many use these type of pedals it shows you grt out when you need to.

Use flat pedals and any shoe you are comfortable in. For old style flats i havd a nice set of brooks leather cyclkng shoes. You can ride in any shoe though. Stiffer soles help. All you need a wide mtb pedaland some deceng shoes mtb spd type but dont use the cleats.

Dont give up. I think my wife felt the same when she first used clipless pedals but got used to them. There is a way around this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • There is no shame, at least in my world, in riding on the road without clipless pedals. I thought I would really miss not having my Time ATAC XS Carbon pedals on my Voodoo Wazoo, as they seem intent on staying on my Felt F5C.

The amount of grip offered by flat pedals varies enormously, as does their size. The default flat Wellgo pedals that came with the Wazoo (not sure on model) were particularly horrid in wet conditions, a bit slippy due to a sparse pin layout and a nasty protruding arch on the crank side.

I replaced them with Wellgo C162s from https://www.merlincycles.com/wellgo-c16 ... 55464.html and could not be happier as far as flat pedal performance goes. Good grip, super compact and incredibly lightweight to boot.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    Surely all the original advice still stands?

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'd been cycling to get to school, work, etc. for a long time before I really got into it more seriously. So more "processing resource" was available to learn to use the pedals.

If the OP can clip out okay in principle but not in traffic, that suggests to me that she's focussed on traffic at the time. Use flats while you get comfortable riding. Then, as someone familiar with cycling and with some road craft, introduce clipless pedals, just not right now.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Surely all the original advice still stands?

If the OP can clip out okay in principle but not in traffic, that suggests to me that she's focussed on traffic at the time. Use flats while you get comfortable riding. Then, as someone familiar with cycling and with some road craft, introduce clipless pedals, just not right now.

This sounds on the money to me.
    As a mtb'er, I tried and failed using clip in pedals, as a couple of offs really dented my confidence. When I switched to the road, I stayed on flats for a good few months before switching to SPD's (I already had mtb shoes) and have honestly never had an off since! Once your confidence in riding on the road improves, you can decide what pedals you want/don't want to switch to.
    The vast majority of cyclists will have no idea, nor care what type of pedals you are using. :wink:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I use a mix of pedals ... 2 of my bikes have flats the rest have spds .... this morning I rode in the Klein with flat pedals but wearing SPD shoes ... didn't realise until I got to work that I had put on the wrong shoes for the job

it works, although bouncing through potholes at speed saw relocation of un-clipped in foot .. which is annoying,
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Traffic is traffic... it will never go away... the car might have seemed doomed 30 years ago... but it will be with me until I croak.
    Hence commuting by bike will always be minority.. even general riding is essentially a minority weird sort of thing to 99% of the British population.
    If you cant cope. yup, give up... lifes too short to fret about inconsequential things like what shoes to wear on a bike .
  • I assume this thread has been trimmed???

@ OP, have you thought about a skills course? I know they may be generally MTB related but skills are skills. I ride much better on the road due to years of MTBing. A prime example being able to easily hop potholes instead of crashing right through them.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I'm not sure where you are and if it would be of interest but at Coed Llandegla there are women only skills courses

https://oneplanetadventure.com/courses-page/

Not road but if it improves your basic handling skills and confidence then maybe it's worth a shot?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • briantrumpet
    I assume this thread has been trimmed???
    Yes. One reason not to respond to trolls is that anything quoted stays in the quotes.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Try these https://www.evanscycles.com/powergrips- ... s-00120405
    I used them for 3 years as my first attempt at clipless was not that good for me.Back on spd now though
    They are really easy to get in and out of with any shoe you want to use and can wear over shoes with them,just adjust strap. You just twist your foot slightly as you put your foot in like clipless to get a secure grip and easy to get out of even in emergency.My best time up Col da Soler in Majorca was done using them although it could be age now slowing me down!
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    1. If you enjoy cycling, do not give up.

2. You speak of flats being inappropriate 'at the level' you plan to ride at. I simply wouldn't worry about what is appropriate at this, that or any other level.

3. Egg Beaters (as mentioned earlier) or the version with a platform called Candy are very easy to use. They are also fairly cheap at the lower end of the range and they last better than their reputation suggests.

4. If you really don't like to clip in, you will not (as also mentioned earlier) like rat cages.

5. If you end up using flats, do try them with a rigid-soled cycling shoe. I've had very enjoyable rides on flat pedals but with one or another type of clipless shoes on my feet. You still get the benefit of the very rigid sole, but have the freedom to be able to swing your feet around or dance or do whatever you want to do.

6. Do not pack it in for this reason. If you really are going to pack in cycling, I imagine it is not because you can't get on with clipless pedals. But don't worry.... there is no law (yet) stating that you must enjoy riding a bicycle.

I hope you find an answer.
  • These are similar to the powergrips mentioned above

https://restrap.co.uk/products/diagonal-straps

Beloved by fixed gear riders who need good foot retention. Had them on my town hack for a while as they were so easy to get into/out of. I used them with SPD Touring shoes from Specialized, plenty stiff enough for fast riding.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Slowbike wrote:
    Then dont go clipless ... I'll ride with trainers if I'm pootling about.

This is quite funny in that I can't stand cycling in trainers I feel so unstable! I guess I'm just so used to be clipped in. I put flats on my commuter and within a week and put SPD's back on :)
  • I just thought I'd post an update. I was actually out on my bike today (not clipped in) and some of you identified the underlying problem. My bike handling skills are dreadful. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'm not sure I can ride a bike! Now I'm not inclined to say much about myself given some of the comments but as I said before I've done a lot of indoor cycling recently (using the same clipless) and before that I did other sports. Whatever I don't think it would take much for my cycling fitness to far exceed my bike handling skill and because of this I really was putting myself in danger on the road. What I like about cycling is the physical challenge and I want to ride outside and that's still there. For now (and I don't know how long it'll last) it's flats and shorter rides though :(
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Definitely think skills classes or coaching could help, from what you say. Especially with the confidence.
  • briantrumpet
    emma154 wrote:
    I just thought I'd post an update. I was actually out on my bike today (not clipped in) and some of you identified the underlying problem. My bike handling skills are dreadful. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'm not sure I can ride a bike! Now I'm not inclined to say much about myself given some of the comments but as I said before I've done a lot of indoor cycling recently (using the same clipless) and before that I did other sports. Whatever I don't think it would take much for my cycling fitness to far exceed my bike handling skill and because of this I really was putting myself in danger on the road. What I like about cycling is the physical challenge and I want to ride outside and that's still there. For now (and I don't know how long it'll last) it's flats and shorter rides though :(
    Is there anything like this in your area? https://www.bikeright.co.uk/for_cyclist ... ewheeling/
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    emma154 wrote:
    I just thought I'd post an update. I was actually out on my bike today (not clipped in) and some of you identified the underlying problem. My bike handling skills are dreadful. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'm not sure I can ride a bike! Now I'm not inclined to say much about myself given some of the comments but as I said before I've done a lot of indoor cycling recently (using the same clipless) and before that I did other sports. Whatever I don't think it would take much for my cycling fitness to far exceed my bike handling skill and because of this I really was putting myself in danger on the road. What I like about cycling is the physical challenge and I want to ride outside and that's still there. For now (and I don't know how long it'll last) it's flats and shorter rides though :(
    Emma, my wife has these hard plastic clips on her flat touring pedals:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Half-Toe- ... wodknkCbQ#
    I also used them before I moved on to SPDs and found them quite good as they give you the benefit of clips without the straps, so very easy to get out of quickly.
  • Emma154, I've been through all this clipped-in stuff. If it is any help, I was under the false illusion that unclipping at the bottom of the circle was better as my foot would be nearer the ground should I need to touch down. I was therefore trying to swivel an almost straight leg while being rather unbalanced, due to the other leg being at the highest point. I ended up wobbling, panicking and falling over. I felt the same way as you do.
    Anyway, one sleepless night I found I was thinking about this, as it was starting to get me down. Everybody else seemed to manage ok. I worked out that my technique could be wrong. I mentally rehearsed unclipping at the highest point, with the other foot at the lowest point acting as a counter-balance.
    Next morning I tried this on the way to work and my theory was correct. I could easily inclip with a bent leg and maintain control and balance.
    Not saying that this is any help to you apart from thinking through what you are doing and how to improve.

Incidentally, if you ride a fixie this technique (unclip at the top) doesn't work so well.....
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Emma154, I've been through all this clipped-in stuff. If it is any help, I was under the false illusion that unclipping at the bottom of the circle was better as my foot would be nearer the ground should I need to touch down. I was therefore trying to swivel an almost straight leg while being rather unbalanced, due to the other leg being at the highest point.
    I tried at first unclipping at the highest point and found it more difficult. What I do (automatically now) is unclip at the bottom of the pedal stroke with my right foot, and then immediately move my left foot backwards down the stroke so it is at the bottom of the stroke and then move off the saddle and ground my right foot. It sounds complicated but as I say it just comes automatically to me.

I would feel more wobbly if I was to unclip my right foot at the bottom of the stroke and immediately ground that foot as I sit in the saddle, as my unclipped foot would be stretching to touch my toes on the ground, rather than having my foot planted flat on the ground as I prefer to do.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    emma154 wrote:
    For now (and I don't know how long it'll last) it's flats and shorter rides though :(
    Nothing wrong with that, just get out and enjoy being outside. Don't worry about being clipped or not, that can follow if you really want to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very this ^^^^^^^

It's a bicycle, have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools