Ultegra 6800 Wheels

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone use these?

Have a mate offering me some brand new (20 miles only) for £150 (ono). I'm currently riding 3 year old Kysirium Elites on my Canyon Ultimate. The Ultegra's seem a bit weighty, but for that price seem worth a punt.

Thoughts?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Solid if unspectacular wheelset. Cup and cone hubs which I personally prefer. You'd be saving about £100 vs buying them new, but you'd be getting no warranty. Only you can say if you think that's worth it.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Bite his arm off - bargain. Shimano wheels are superb quality in my experience, over many years. If he's a good mate ?
    he'll probably help with any warranty issues, in the unlikely event of a problem.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Couple of guys in my club use them for training wheels, they seem to rate them although I wouldn't know if they would be an upgrade from the Elites, but having a second pair of "just in case" wheels is always good and Shimano wheels are usually quality!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I certainly wouldn't call the 6800s either an upgrade on the old Elites or Weighty. They are only about 1650g so will be fine for all uses. The hubs/bearings are very good indeed and, if well maintained, should easily outlast the rims. The only downside of these wheels is that they are a little dated in terms of design as in narrow rim and profile (although this is less of a concern for shallow rims like this). However, if you coming from the older Elites then there isn't a lot of difference.

The price is about right for 2nd hand, albeit new-ish.
  • MikeBrew
    Not sure , but I think that these are also tubeless ready, which gives you the option.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Thanks guys, I'm going to offer £125 for them and see how that goes. Given these are brand new and my wheels have been ridden through all weathers for 3 years they should feel a bit more spritely.

yes they are tubeless ready.
  • Riding through the winter killed my hubs on these. Not so bulletproof as they say.
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    I had the predecessor WH-6700.
    Pro:
    Good initial build quality and a smooooth ride.

Con:
    Tyres are somewhat more difficult to mount as it is with tubeless rims.
    Not the stiffest ones and I'm only 70kgs.
    The first weeks were fine but then the rear wheel kept developing lateral and radial runouts which I wasn't able to correct.
    These runouts didnt affect the ride but it was annoing to know they where there.
  • MikeBrew
    Bergwerk wrote:
    Riding through the winter killed my hubs on these. Not so bulletproof as they say.

Did you maintain - grease and adjust the cup and cone bearings - when using regularly in foul weather ? If not then bear in mind that Bulletproof and idiot proof aren't the same thing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Bergwerk wrote:
    Riding through the winter killed my hubs on these. Not so bulletproof as they say.

Did you maintain - grease and adjust the cup and cone bearings - when using regularly in foul weather ? If not then bear in mind that Bulletproof and idiot proof aren't the same thing.

I think idiot is a bit harsh! I nursed a set of RS10s through 5 winters by periodically stripping / regreasing and once replacing the bearings, but on the last occasion there was orange goo and some corrosion in the D/S rear cup so the seals aren't infallible. Still smooth enough to put them on the summer / dry weather bike.

Cheap as chips R501s now on the wet / winter bike and receiving the same treatment; holding up well so far.

I still prefer cup and cone hubs, but I do like to tinker. Maybe if I commuted and did a higher winter mileage I'd prefer the simplicity / replaceability of cartridge bearings. Once a cup is seriously pitted the hub is toast, and on a factory wheel that often means the wheel too...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    A bargain at £150 if only done 20 miles - I'd bite his hand off....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    Bergwerk wrote:

Yep, yep, yep. Maintain, strip, replace bearings balls, re-grease, adjust. At the end every 2000km, but the cups are just toast now.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bought a pair for the summer bike in 2015 and very happy with them.Definitely go for it.

I'd not ride them through winter - leave the cheaper wheels for that.