+Size tyre question

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
So recently got on a massive discount a display model 2016 Marin Pine Mountain 1 fully rigid 27.5+ tyre mountain bike, Took it out for a blast around Cannock Chase and it was a blast, So much so that I plan to start doing some longer rides in the Peak District every Sunday. The stock 2.8" tyres are very grippy but are a bit tiresome on gravel roads etc.

To that end I would like to have a slightly narrower set of tyres for the longer rides where the terrain is likely to be a little less gnarly - To that end I have bought a set of Schwalbe Rapid Robs 27.5 x 2.25" however I forgot to consider the current rim width so I am a little concerned about fitting / safety.

The current rims are Maddux DD40 with an internal width of 40mm, By my calculations the 2.25" tyres are 57mm wide. 2.25" tyres should still give enough grip I think - Certainly enough to match my very basic MTB skills.

Any reason why these won't fit ?

I would love to have enough funds/space to have a spare wheelset but for now a spare tyre set will have to do.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    I should add - I know the whole point of the Pine Mountain is the + size tyres but for me it was the rigid factor and also I just like the colourway and steel frame etc. The plus size tyres will be in use for more aggressive rides but for the rides around the peaks I think some narrower rubber maybe better for climbing duties.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When plus size works, it works well, when it doesn't its a pain, certain muddy conditions can be a pain.

A 2.25 should just about be OK on the 40mm rim, but why not get some 29er wheels and tyres (same rolling diameter as 27.5+) or your BB is going to be pretty low!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mr_eddy
    29er is an option but as mentioned funds don't allow for now so just wanted to make sure the 2.25" will actually fit.