Schwalbe Durano too tight to fit

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, Just asking for a little advice. I have bought a new set of Durano 700 by 23c tyres. They are beaded. I got them on with a struggle but broke two tyre levers in the process. I had Durano 25c before and have had 23c before but can't remember this titanic struggle. I'd have never got them on or off if I had a puncture. Does the bead make it a harder job to get on the rim? Any help please :)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aren't all tyres beaded?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    cooldad wrote:
    Aren't all tyres beaded?
    Think the OP is referring to rigid wire bead as oppose to Folding bead.
    Folding beads are generally easier to fit. Tubeless compatable rims can often make things even tighter.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Unlucky :-(

I have not fitted a rigid tyre for a while, but my method with new tyres of any sort is to put them on a wheel, 95% of the way around, and leave it in that strteched position for a day or more, and this certainly seems to help with the eventual fitment.

For me, that has been the magic bullet, as I used to be utter crap at fitting tyres.
    Occasionally I can even get one on without levers, think I even got a folding Durano plus on that way, along with the 'pushing the tyre down into the central well to gain more room to work' method.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    https://youtu.be/88MVtTIH4us?t=3s

Sorry, no idea how to embed the video here, but I bookmarked this video after someone posted it here.

Unsuprisingly, "tight tyre" threads seem to come up weekly here, so I am sure a quick forum search will be rewarding.

Anyway, the technique in the video made a big difference to me.

Breaking 2 tyre levers = you're doing something wrong!
  • jerry3571
    Hi
    Seems a bit odd to do something wrong after 30 years of riding. I think the above contributor has something when they say to leave it for a day or two to stretch the tire. The tyre which remained on the wheel for a few days, was quite a bit easier to take off than I imagined so stretching seemed to happen.
    I have bought some alloy and campag type levers now so hope this may help.
    On club rides, I'm the one who they listen to after they screwed it up a few times so I'm not a newbie at this.
    It is an odd thing that some tyres slip on with the hand and others are so damn difficult. For a standard 700c wheel, it seems crazy there's this variation.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A night in the airing cupboard or somewhere warm will help too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    A night in the airing cupboard or somewhere warm will help too.

Yep, this. I feel strong as an ox after a night in the airing cupboard. I recon I could change a motorcycle tyre with my bare hands :lol:
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • jerry3571
    I ended up replacing the beaded tires for folded and they went on real easy. Hmmm... :?
    Bonkers Conkers!
    I once had a high speed front blow out at 44mph once and the tire worked its way off the wheel so I skated on my aluminum rims for a few yards before going splat. Got a hunch if the tight tires (schwalbe beaded) were on at that time then I might have stayed on the bike until I pulled up to a stop. Might have saved two weeks off work. :evil:

-Jacques Anquetil