Cafe stop lock.

anjasola
anjasola Posts: 145
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations? Search facility brings up old threads for me this gets a mention Abus Combiflex Pro 202 but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use the BBB combination one. Seems to fit the bill of stopping an opportunist ride-off.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I vaguely remember someone saying they used a cable tie as a cafe lock. Which would probably be all you would need for an opportunist as long as the bike stayed insight
  • meanredspider
    Stueys wrote:
    I vaguely remember someone saying they used a cable tie as a cafe lock. Which would probably be all you would need for an opportunist as long as the bike stayed insight

What do they cut it with? I don't carry a knife or cutters with me.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I use this: giant bike lock

It's about the size of my thumb. I had the Abus Combiflex Pro 202 before, which was fine in a jersey pocket, but that means remembering to pick it up, this just lives in my saddle bag.

It's pretty rubbish, but is tiny. Perfect for outside shops when nipping in, or at cafes. It's just enough that if you see someone messing with it through the shop / cafe window it would give you a few seconds to go out and tell them to clear off.

I figure people stealing from outside shop are either opportunists, where the simplest lock would be a deterrent. Or if it's a well known targeted spot, they would be taking other bikes which aren't locked at all.

My house insurance covers away from home as long as the bike is locked but doesn't stipulate a lock standard, so it ticks that box as well.
  • meanredspider
    I think that a Giant lock is the same as the BBB - generic lock just branded differently. I have what is probably the older version (mine is nearly 3 years old).
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Stueys wrote:

Unless they are very big and / or of high quality, zip ties are not difficult to crack without tools if you know how but would probably be good enough to deter said opportunist thief so long as he didn't have anything to cut them with. You might not carry a knife but the sort of scrote that would try to nick your ride might well.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Knog Milkman is a handy cafe lock that fits well in jersey pocket. Just £8 from Planet X at the moment for the keyed version in pink (normally around £20).
  • meanredspider
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Unless they are very big and / or of high quality, zip ties are not difficult to crack without tools if you know how but would probably be good enough to deter said opportunist thief so long as he didn't have anything to cut them with. You might not carry a knife but the sort of scrote that would try to nick your ride might well.

I always find them difficult - but then I tend to trim them (and perhaps they are good quality)
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

I always find them difficult - but then I tend to trim them (and perhaps they are good quality)

No idea, this was a vaguely recalled thread from a while back that always struck me as a good idea. You can undo a cable tile with a flat head screwdriver or a key, so the average multi tool will be fine. Equally anyone else can do the same so it's purely for the opportunist from running off with your bike, it's going to hold someone up for 10-15 seconds (assuming they don't have a knife). So I wouldn't use for anything where your bike is more than a few paces away in line of sight. But having said that this equally applies to most of the cafe locks I've seen, a pair of pliers is all you need to defeat the majority of them.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    All you need to open a cable tie and re-use it is a needle or similar. I learnt this trick on an old episode of CSI.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or use the sort that are designed to be re-useable (as used for Crud Racer mudguards). It's unlikely that any opportunist having failed to ride off on your bike would look closely enough at the cable tie to determine it could be undone without cutting. They'd just move on to the bike of one of your mates who couldn't be bothered to protect it with anything!

I use a retractable string type which I think others have referred to.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I just choose my cafe stops well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited January 2017
    anjasola wrote:
    Any recommendations? Search facility brings up old threads for me this gets a mention Abus Combiflex Pro 202 but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a version of the Abus one, does the job it's intended for fine imho.

EDIT: Like the look of that BBB one a lot, just ordered one from Tredz for £6.26.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I would normally use a cheap cable lock from Decathlon which I think cost less than £10 if I'm just stopping for a coffee and I can see the bike. However where I am now there is an awesome cycle cafe that provides locks for customers to use!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stueys wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

No idea, this was a vaguely recalled thread from a while back that always struck me as a good idea. You can undo a cable tile with a flat head screwdriver or a key, so the average multi tool will be fine. Equally anyone else can do the same so it's purely for the opportunist from running off with your bike, it's going to hold someone up for 10-15 seconds (assuming they don't have a knife). So I wouldn't use for anything where your bike is more than a few paces away in line of sight. But having said that this equally applies to most of the cafe locks I've seen, a pair of pliers is all you need to defeat the majority of them.

I've got a smallleattherman in my emergency pack that incorporates, a pro pos other things, a pair of pliers, part of which are cutters, so no problems.

Came in handy screwing a pair of shoes together when a friend fell off the other week.

I'd say any lock - even stuff from the bargain bin at Halfords or Aldi: it's just to deter an opportunist/stop your bi-cycle from falling over. This will do the job:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oxford-bumper-cable-lock-600mm/rp-prod129462
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Thanks for all the input.
    I'll just buy a 'cheapo' to satisfy the requirements of insurance policy, 99.99% of the time bike never leaves my sight.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    My insurance policy insists that the bike be locked using a sold secure gold lock when I'm out. Obviously I'm not going to carry around a few kilos of cable and a big lock so I have the Abus combiflex which will stop 99% of opportunist thief's.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    I've got the Abus 202; a pair of wire cutters would get through it but for it's intended use it seems alright. Instructions on setting the combination are a nightmare but a google helped sort that.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited May 2017
    A few years ago I bought a 90cm cable lock from Halfords when I needed it in a hurry. Its ended up the best thing Ive ever bought from their store. It weighs nothing, fits in my jersey pocket or around the seat post without being obtrusive (after removing the plastic mounting bracket) and is considerably more stronger looking than a wire cafe stop lock.

Ok for a short time at cafe to deter an opportunist thief.

I use tie wraps to secure my bike onto my cars bike rack and to stop the wheels and front fork from moving.

I will not leave my bike outside the house. Not just for security but for corrosion reasons too.
    If I had to commute to an office I'd look for a n shaped bike post and buy 2 heavy duty D-locks. One through each wheel and frame. I'd keep the D-locks on the post when not in use rather than carrying them with me.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    36 years I've been cycling to cafes. Never locked it. Never lost a bike or even heard of a bike getting nicked.

I think you're more at risk at the big well supported sportives than at a cafe. Watch your bikes there.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    As they kinda say on Apocalypse Now...
    Never get off of the bike.

3c1f225.jpg
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    New York Faghettaboutit chain. Weighs about 15 kg so you drive to the cafe stop the night before and leave it locked up around the lampost and then cruise up the next day.