going from 10 to 11 speed

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
hi all, have ultegra 10 speed (3x10) currently on the bike and for spring/summer would like to go 2x11

wheels aren't an issue as got a set for xmas, so that bits done

i know I'd need a chainset, rear mech, cassette, chain and shifters

would the current ultegra calipers i have work with 6800 levers (or 5800)?

according to this here:

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/3. ... &cid=C-453

it seems to state that calipers wouldbe cross compatible?

i know the obvious answer would be to buy a complete new groupset but id probably get a few bits each month over a period of time

cheers

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Yes your calipers would work - though the pull ratios may not be the same.

But if I were you I'd strip the whole groupset, sell it in bits, and buy a whole new 105 groupset. You'll get the best price that way, and everything will be shiny, new and will match. The fact you're going from triple to double will more than offset the difference between Ultegra and 105 in terms of weight, and functionally there is no difference, you'll get excellent performance from either if they are set up well.
  • dimmockg
    is the 105 5800 that good then? i have read there is nothing in it with 6800 other than a few grams in weight, that could be the best option then. Not overly fussed about the 'downgrade' in name if the functionality is the same.

I assume 5800 is going to be better than the ultegra i have now? i would expect it to be as its newer

thanks
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Loads of deals on 6800 at the mo' and if you're planning a loan term swap over just cherry pick what you need when you find it dirt cheap.

Bits come up in places like ex-display sales all the time.

I'd stick with Ultegra over 105, but that's just me - load soft people don't mind either or say that 105 is good enough. All depends on what price you get the bits really.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Go with 11-speed 105 unless you're willing to make the bigger jump to Di2 or Dura Ace. Mechanical Ultegra is fine but the extra money over 105 doesn't net you much. The latest 105 is very slick and a complete groupset can be had for cheap if you shop around and look for specials/sales. Incredible value! You will notice a big difference in smoothness coming from your older Ultegra triple groupset.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You don't need a chainset. You don't need to change the brakes. You don't (technically) need to change the left shifter or the front mech. The minimum you need is the RH shifter, rear mech, chain and cassette. Assuming you want a matched set of shifters, I don't actually know if a 6800 or 5800 shifter will work with a x700 (10-speed) front mech, but I'd try it before changing the FD.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    964Cup wrote:
    You don't need a chainset. You don't (technically) need to change the left shifter or the front mech.

He does if going from treble to double as stated in the OP. So really all you can keep is the brakes and the bottom bracket. But on the flip side, if you sell the old bits on eBay (as bits) should mean you get decent money as trebles are less common.
  • I have 6700 ultegra and 6800 on another. I've ridden a couple of bikes with 5800 105.

As above, if you're going 2x as well, then only part you could really keep is the brake calipers.

To me the biggest improvement of the X800 group sets is the brake calipers. So for me it wouldn't make sense to change most of the groupset but retain the old brakes.

The next most notable improvement for me is front mechs on the X800 group-sets. It's harder to set up (you'll want a barrel adjuster somewhere), but it really throws the chain up in to the big ring due to the actuation leverage.

I didn't notice the extra sprocket of 11 speed, but I was never really struggling for gearing range with 10 speed.

I also can't notice any difference between 5800 and 6800 either.

I've never ridden a triple on the road so can't comment much on that.
  • dimmockg
    cheers all, think I'll bide my time and get pieces at 'bargain' prices as and when they pop up