Recommend me some spd (mtb) pedals for my road bike pls

bikemanspen
bikemanspen Posts: 101
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm after a pair of spds that won't break the bank or scales for my new road bike I've previously used xt trail, but wondered what else is there?

Thanks in advance
Cube agree pro 2013
Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Excellent pedals and good price in sale,got them on three road bikes ,pretty bulletproof.
  • Thanks buddy look good and I like the price just like the xt but a third of the price!
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    oxoman wrote:
    Shimano A520's, single sided spd but look like proper roady pedals had mine 4 years and never had to touch them even after 10,000 plus miles.
    +1 Mine lasted 8 years, but that was a lot of foul weather, zero maintenance and only scrapped because the noise was annoying. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Another +1 for the Shimano A520 pedals.

Look a bit more "roadie" than most SPD pedals. I have them on all my bikes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    M520s are cheap as chips and appear indestructible. I have them on my winter bike.
    M540s slightly lighter / dearer / arguably a bit better looking. Got those on my summer bike. Coming up to 10 years old and I've regreased the bearings once, and that was out of curiosity rather than need.

I've often pondered going SPD-SL but I like the simple double sided entry of SPDs and the walkability of the cleats.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have these, and find them fine - fairly lightweight and fuss free:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... -pro-pedal

£25 - and if you have British Cycling membership, you'll get 10% off at Halfords (which I think may be the only place to get them).
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    I have these, and find them fine - fairly lightweight and fuss free:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... -pro-pedal

£25 - and if you have British Cycling membership, you'll get 10% off at Halfords (which I think may be the only place to get them).
    I have these too, lighter than the M520, and don't seem to rust either so they stay looking good longer
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Can't personally see the point in getting SPDs that are single sided. I'd suggest the M520s as mentioned above.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I have the M505s on mine, which effectively predate the 520s. I come from MTBing so find these work perfectly for me and I can swap shoes from MTB to road and back.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    MrB123 wrote:
    Can't personally see the point in getting SPDs that are single sided. I'd suggest the M520s as mentioned above.

The bigger platform would be my guess - reduces hotspots.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Daniel B wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

The bigger platform would be my guess - reduces hotspots.

I use SPDs on my winter bike and can't say hotspots have ever been a problem - comfort is much the same as with Speedplays on my summer bike. I suppose it may depend a bit on the shoes you use.

In any event, if it's a concern then double sided SPDs are available with the cage round giving a larger platform - the M530s that someone already mentioned.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    M540s everyday of the week....
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • XT are the best bang for buck... no point in getting the one sided ones... only drawbacks and no advantages
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    XT are the best bang for buck... no point in getting the one sided ones... only drawbacks and no advantages

But they are £60! What do they do that £20 M520s dont??
  • keef66 wrote:
    XT are the best bang for buck... no point in getting the one sided ones... only drawbacks and no advantages

But they are £60! What do they do that £20 M520s dont??

Not much... but the guy already has XT...
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I have/have had 520s, 540s, XT and XTR on various bikes (and various generations of some of those since the M737 back in 1990).

Can I tell the difference between them when I get on any of the bikes? Can I heck!

Some of it comes down to a bit of bling/pose value (especially XTR!). But that's all fine if you like that sort of thing (I do to a degree).

They are all nearly indestructible. I've had 50000km out of a set (XT) without too much bother. Even those could have had new axle kits, but a new set was not much more money!

540s are probably the sweet spot of £ and weight:

520s - £20ish - 420g
    540s - £32ish - 350g
    XT - £60ish - 340g
    XTR - £85ish - 310g

Sure, the XT and XTR have some better mud shedding characteristics etc. that we do not care about on the road.

As I said, I reckon 540s hit the spot every time when it comes to best value, much lighter than 520s and not ever so expensive. That said, I reckon 520s will be the only thing hanging out with the cockroaches post-apocalypse.
  • ryan_w-2

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ryan_W wrote:

Cool. Makes them even better bling!

I just took the numbers from Wiggle.

I blame Wiggle.

Can you check the others over and come back to us?
  • ryan_w-2
    marcusjb wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Cool. Makes them even better bling!

I just took the numbers from Wiggle.

I blame Wiggle.

Can you check the others over and come back to us?

Shiamno says:

M540 - 352g

M520 - 380g

No weight on the XT details page?

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've had three sets of M540s, two of them had the right hand bearings fail within 100 miles of usage.

Never had any bother from the 4 or 5 sets of M520 pedals I've owned.

Might try the Boardman Pro's recommended upthread, if their quoted weights are accurate then for £25 you get a dual sided spd pedal that weighs the same as the Ultegra-grade PD-A600 single sided shimano, which is frankly mind boggling.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    XT or XTR will stay hassle free for ever I guess...I've had 2 sets of XTRs that are about 10-12 yrs old, which I bought 2nd hand for 30-40 pound each about 8 years ago.
    I have a set of Welgos that came on an old hybrid bike and they are also fine...bit heavier but with a slightly larger/ flatter platform so are rideable (ish) if you wear flat shoes...
  • Thanks fellas this is turning into a great topic still undiceded with all the choice put forward haha
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I don't think you can go wrong with Shimano SPD. They are great pedals. I've used them since the early 90s and never had any issues. The M540 and 520 are a superb buy, as are the A520 and 600. The only servicing I do every few years is to unscrew the pedal body from the spindle/bearing section, put some grease in the body and screw it back on, thus forcing grease into the bearing assembly. I've tried other manufacturers' SPD clones but the bearings don't hold up as well as Shimano.

The double-sided M models are more convenient for things like town or tandem riding when ease of clipping in and out is paramount. For longer rides, particularly multi-day tours, I prefer the greater support from the larger platform of the road specific A models. Once the bearings are worn in, the A pedals hang nose up so it's easy to flip them into clipping in position with your toe.
  • Ok so I just nipped to the local Evans and got them to price match me some a520s got them for £28.50 so happy days their lightweight for the money and fit the bill!
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Ok so I just nipped to the local Evans and got them to price match me some a520s got them for £28.50 so happy days their lightweight for the money and fit the bill!

For road bike I will choose Speedplay. I've done SPDs for a year but for road I think speedplay is way more better in terms of 1. security (never unclipped by accident) 2. The road specific shoes are just way more options and advanced (SPDs normally are for MTBs and are a lot heavier). All the shoes I wanted to wear were not in spd option. 3. infinite amount of float within a range. 4. looks great.

If I were you I will return those and get the speedplay. I love it so much more than SPDs and I hate SPD SLs.
  • Never really looked into the speedplays or even how they work tbh,I've got mtb shoes so like the ease of using them for all my cycling! If they wouldn't work with my shoes it's kind of a no go as I'm not really wanting to perchase new shoes atm!
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • ryan_w-2
    Not a Speedplay fan at all, and the cleats are hilarious.

Can't go wrong with Shimao for commuting on a road bike.

I've got the top of the range Ti / Carbon Looks on my S5 and I much prefer my £30 M540s on my CAAD!

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Never really looked into the speedplays or even how they work tbh,I've got mtb shoes so like the ease of using them for all my cycling! If they wouldn't work with my shoes it's kind of a no go as I'm not really wanting to perchase new shoes atm!

Of course nothing wrong with SPDs. I used them for a year and I still do for my MTB.

If you every wanted to upgrade to those really sexy and light road shoes then give Speedplay a go. I have SIDIs for SPDs but you don't get Rapha in spds :)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    hsiaolc wrote:
    ... I have SIDIs for SPDs but you don't get Rapha in spds :)
    Ahem....Rapha Cross Shoes...ahem. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.