XT M8000 Caliper seal failure

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Riding Llandegla yesterday and my rear brake - XT M8000 fitted September 2016 - started to feel a bit spongy. After about a mile or so the lever was pulling all the way back to the bar and within a short time my rear brake was not working at all.
It looks like a seal has gone in the caliper.
I'll put a warranty claim in this week but wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well of course, with the number they make, someone else will have had the same problem!

Is it common, no. Is it fixable, no not without a new calliper.

Not usually a problem getting sorted under warranty.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have had this very problem with my front brake. Front brake started to loose bite i stopped and it looked liek the pads were contaminated. When i got home the following morning the garage floor was covered in mineral oil. The front brake pistons were leaking from their seals (M8000 brakes) Took it into my LbS who supplied me them new and i had a new brake delivered by the Shimano distributor the following day!
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    Mine did exactly the same at the end of last year. LBS fitted new one and sent old one off for warranty claim - I'm still waiting for the cash ...