Can I put a Mt. Bike hub on a Cross Bike (xTrail)

urso
urso Posts: 14
edited January 2017 in Cyclocross
I have a Ridley xTrail and am gathering information to build a second set of wheels.
I have thru axles which limits my hub options - I'm curious to know if I can put Mt. Bike Hubs on a Cyclocross bike?

I'm assuming if they are the right size and width I'm 2/3rd the way there but am concerned about differences in the freewheel compatibility with a cyclocross/road bike cassette.

Any feedback?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,250
    As you say you need to make sure you have the right width and end caps. Presumably you have 125mm but a lot of MTB are now 142mm.
    Assuming you are on shimano I believe you can only go to 10 speed road with an MTB free hub as MTB 11 speed is the same as road 10 speed I believe. But something like a Hope hub should cover all options. If you are looking at Shimano MTB hubs check compatibility more carefully, not sure if you can buy say an XT hub for road 11. Hope that makes sense.
  • Can't really go wrong with Novatec 771/772 hubs if building your own and can be set up as thru axle. I'm sure these are same hubs used in many of the Hunt wheelsets. Other options would be dtswiss or Hope hubs.

Loads of rim choices - dtswiss 460, 411, hplus son Hydra, Stans Grail, Kinlin

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/ sell Novatec and some of the rims I've mentioned. I've purchased hubs and rims from them and they have been very helpful. The cycleclinic often post on these forums too so may be along to offer some advice.