Any Bike Sales/offer - which bike?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, Happy New Year to you.
I'm looking for a replacement bike, I currently have a Trek 2.1 105 alloy dropbar looking for something that;

1) Take fat tires upto around 35c? - Currently only fit 25c - Main riding is commute 6 mile each way on road however need to ride through snow/winter ect and a bit of off road ie towpath when go out with kids (2yr old in bike trailer and an 8yr old)

2) Capable of Towing a bike trailer and then a tag along for youngest 2 yr old, 1st mile of commute is nursery/ school run with little one in trailer, apparently Carbon not best for this?? I was looking at Titanium but over my sub £1800 budget

3) Fit full guards and rear rack

4) hydraulic disc brakes

5) At least 105 or above group set, ideally I'd like to go up a set to Ultegra

So looking at Adventure/gravel type bikes I guess, just can't decide if be better staying with Alloy frame or going for Carbon been looking at stuff like Caad12/Diverge etc but either don't have the tire clearance, don't take guards/racks or over budget (not sure if just paying for the name), I was originally looking at a planet X Tempest at £2k but their prices have gone up to £2500, I didn't really want spend £2k ideally looking at under £1500, I can use C2W scheme on the full amount so if around £1800 by time got saving be looking at approx £1400. I've looked at a few Cube and the old Felt V55 as well which both seem value for money but so many diff brands and choices not sure what best deal is. I guess biggest question is frame materiel V groupset - Alloy with Ultegra or Carbon with 105...

Any one got any ideas or recommendation it'll be really appreciated..

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Towing something with a carbon bike might not be sensible - I guess they clamp to something and carbon typically isn't best for that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyh01
    The clamp is bracket that sits on the rear axel held in with the nut/qr skewer of the wheel and the trailer arm attaches to the protruding peg, but the tag along I guess will eventually be clamped to the seat post.

A couple of people have said that a carbon frame shouldn't have more than 10kg on the racks anyway I guess it's down to how the frame has been made and whether it's designed to take that directional force on it. As I understand carbon frames are only strong at certain points with the force going in a certain direction/way ie hence if drop a hammer on cross bar as carbon is brittle it can crack but I guess if it's layered up in a unilateral directional frame there wouldn't be an issue? Don't know...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd go with nice alloy or good steel is very nice - if you need the tag-along or trailer. No way to keep the current bike for those duties?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyh01
    Well this is the thing, the current bike is 3 - 4 ys old and was until about 2 yrs ago used day in day out then I got T boned, bike and I went over bonnet of car and then I also changed jobs where too far to commute by bike in the limited time I had so I was in car for 18 months. I've now got a new job and closer to home so back on the bike.

The bike is in need of a bit of TLC & bits sorting out, nothing major - new cables as old ones have stretched but shifting and brakes work, new handlebar tape and to be fair new handle bar as current one is bent slightly from the crash (that I'm still waiting to be compensated for, despite liability being settled in my favour thanks to an independent witness). I also need to replace the mud guards, and probably due new set of tires, so I thought before spending on this one, I might as well look around and pick something up from last year model and in Jan sales.. The other concern I have is what to do if/when snow comes as this is my only method of getting kids to school and me to work and the only bike I have. I can only get 25c wheels/tires on it, as we've sold the other car so needs to be practical all year rounder and the fact as got the extra weight on the back and past experience of riding in wet and being cut up etc. hydro brakes be nice.... but yeah my current bike is usable and does the job and just goes.. I may do the work that it needs anyway so I could sell it if/when I did find the right replacement or hoard it to use just in case or whatever which wouldn't happen if I did replace it..
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Andy,
    Is a hardtale 29er out of the question?
    Based on your mileage I would say it's a good shout for your requirements.
    I commute 7 miles each way, I use either a trek domane with 33m Cyclo-cross tyres (good levels of grip), but when the weather is really bad I prefer to use my hardtale. I just feel safer using fatter tyres.
    My Domane is within your budget, £1500, it can take wide tyres (potentially up to 40), had hydraulic disc brakes but is made from Aluminium. I ride it both on road and off road on bridleways and forest trails.
    Where I live in the Midlands the snow literally only lasts for a day or so.
    For £1200 you could get a decent hardtale, light weight aluminium frame and good brakes. Also the gearing may be more pull along friendly.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Specialized Sequoia Elite 8)
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Not quite the groupset your after but ............ Have a look at the Genesis vagabond , massive tyre clearance, can fit guards and a rack, not as quick as a pure road bike by any stretch but steel frame and forks, reasonable gear ratios and you can ride it on or over almost anything.
    The geometry sits you up quite high which would be a good thing with the kids in tow and drop handlebars to change position if on a longer ride.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !