Can you mix Campag Potenza with Athena

richardjs
richardjs Posts: 11
edited January 2017 in Workshop
I have an 11 speed Athena mechanical groupset. However the rear cassette is 12-27 and I would like to change to the new Potenza 11 speed 11-32 cassette. I expected that I would have to change the rear derailleur to the longer cage Potenza but I asked the technical dept of Campag to make sure and they have replied to say that I will need to change to the whole Potenza groupset including shifters and front derailleur. Are they just trying to make me spend more money or is this correct advice? Has anyone tried to mix the new Potenza cassette with Athena derailleur and shifters?? I would love to hear. I cannot imagine why the Athena 11 speed shifters should not work but maybe I am missing something

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I'm not 100% but I think that what they're saying is correct, the pull ratio changed for the higher end groups in 2014/15, I'd look at a 12-30 cassette (that should work ok with your current set-up) that's still quite a change from the 12-27.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You can't use Potenza with Athena; the pull ratios are wrong. You can mix Potenza with any of the other groups, post-2015 - I've just built up a bike with Chorus apart from a Potenza RD - but that doesn't help you. You will be able to run 12-30 with Athena, however.

So basically Flasher is right on all points.
  • Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have now been looking for 12-30 cassettes as you suggest. The only reference I can find is to a Campy Centaur 10 speed cassette which is 12-30. Not sure if this is still available but even if it is available will a 10 speed cassette work with my 11 speed Athena shifters??? Won't the intervals be wrong?? Maybe I should get the Chorus 11-29 cassette which has 11 cogs. Any further thoughts??
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I run a Chorus 12/29 on a standard chainset and it gets me up everything (so far). I'm nearly 50, just shy of 17 stone and what I would describe as above average fitness but not super human. As a comparison it feels broadly similar at the bottom end to the 12/25 set up I run with a 50/34 compact on my Winter bike but without spinning out int the high gears downhill.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    29 is the largest sprocket that is natively compatible. You might get away with using a 32 tooth Potenza cassette with your athena RD - it will depend on your mech hanger length. You could try a Wolf tooth extender??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Most of the time Athena will go up to 30 happily, unless you're very unlucky with geometry.