Looking for fellow long-distance Surrey >> London commuters

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone,

I recently posted this over on the General forum, but someone kindly suggested re-posting it here too, in the hopes of attracting more eyeballs...

viewtopic.php?p=20034790

(trying to get a Facebook group off the ground to organise long distance group bike commutes from various parts of Surrey into London).

Comments

• rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    I live in Surrey, but since I'm only just over the border in Thames Ditton, I'm not sure that counts!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • andyeb
    You'd be welcome to tag along at a suitable point on the route - by all means join the FB group, post your normal route & times and we'll try and work something out.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I usually cycle Fleet - Woking one day a week then get on the train to London. I've always been put off going further by the traffic.

I'll have a look at the FB group and have a ponder. (More exercise being a New Year resolution)
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    In the summer I do Shalford (just outside Guildford) to Canary Wharf. Over the downs (up Combe Lane) and then in through Kingston, RP,Embankment etc.

It's about 45 miles I think.

I only tend to do it one way though, I'm not too mental.

On winter days I go from Claygate into town. Still Surrey - > London but not quite the same!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • andyeb
    J_MCD wrote:
    In the summer I do Shalford (just outside Guildford) to Canary Wharf. Over the downs (up Combe Lane) and then in through Kingston, RP,Embankment etc.

It's about 45 miles I think.

I only tend to do it one way though, I'm not too mental.

On winter days I go from Claygate into town. Still Surrey - > London but not quite the same!

Impressive - good job!

That's funny - I've thought about going south through Guildford, then east through Shalford and up Combe Lane, just to get a proper hill into the journey. Apart from Richmond Park, the rest of the route is pretty flat.