Insuring a bike when travelling - specifically on the aircraft

ukthewall
ukthewall Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in Road general
I was looking to insure my bike to take across to the USA, but so far a couple of companies have in the terms and conditions that it is not insured whilst on the flight or in transit to and from the aircraft, because it can't be locked to anything. As my bike will be with me for the entire time, except when it's on the converyor to the flight, on the flight and on the carousel waiting to be picked up, so this is the only time I feel it's at risk, and it won't be insured.

Are there any companies out there that specifically included the flight in the cover? Ideally with short term insurance, but to be honest, I'll pay an annual premium if it gets me covered. I should add my bike is worth around £3.5k.

thanks

mike

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    airlines will sell you additional cover for the time baggage is in their care, you need to declare the value and they'll advise the fee, otherwise their liability is limited to a bit over a grand (in total)

if it's a one-off, might be worth trying an insurance broker to quote you for exactly what you want as a total package including health cover etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I'd suggest being very clear with the airline as to the value, they used to assign value dependant on weight so the lighter the bike the less it was worth in their view.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What about sports insurance? Someone like dogtag etc. I dont think loss of the bike is a big risk really but make sure you have proper medical insurance for the US.

I've flown my bike all over the place and never had a drama.