How to adjust bike geometry to prevent lower back pain?

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in Road general
So I just do not have the time to go to a bike fitter.

I used to experience neck pain but I adjusted my geometry and it went away.

I still however have sharp lower back pain after an hour of cycling. I have to stretch on my bike every 10 mins to relieve the pain but it comes back very quickly especially if I'm in the drops.

My bike setup is seat all the way back and seat post relatively high but not extreme

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    As a start, post the pictures of you on the bike that everyone requested in your other thread.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    As a start, post the pictures of you on the bike that everyone requested in your other thread.
    Can't be bothered to take it but when I'm cycling and see myself in a mirror, my back (my back's angle to the horizontal) is very aggressive. It's like 30 degrees. How do I make it more upright and thus preventing the problem in question

Here's the ride https://www.strava.com/activities/81662 ... 1483186513

speaking of nirvana it was there
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Can't be bothered to take it

Can't be bothered to help you, then.
  • Saw a few cm off the seat tube bang on in the middle, then hammer the top down until the two sawed ends meet... superglue them together and wrap some gaffer tape for extra strength... that's done... a more relaxed geometry achieved
    left the forum March 2023
  • Saw a few cm off the seat tube bang on in the middle, then hammer the top down until the two sawed ends meet... superglue them together and wrap some gaffer tape for extra strength... that's done... a more relaxed geometry achieved
    Dont understand that nonsense of English (and im from the UK).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    If you are very busy, buy a new bike online. If that doesn't fit, try that again. Eventually you'll get comfy.
  • If you are very busy, buy a new bike online. If that doesn't fit, try that again. Eventually you'll get comfy.
    You must think I'm a high roller
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is high roller a synonym for spazwangle?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • First.Aspect
    b. 1998 wrote:
    If you are very busy, buy a new bike online. If that doesn't fit, try that again. Eventually you'll get comfy.
    You must think I'm a high roller
    Perhaps that's the problem. Lower your roller.

Or take a magic pill. That's what you are after isn't it?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are too busy maybe cycling is not for you.
  • First.Aspect
    Kajjal wrote:
    If you are too busy maybe cycling is not for you.
    Never a truer word. I think golf is less time consuming isn't it?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Make time.

You need to seek professionals to solve your pain problem an sort the bike geo out also with professional with property tools and data.

Not here mate.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If we can't see your position then how the hell can we help?

Plus you were very rude on your other thread - so.....
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Assuming you're not a WUM.....

On your other thread your saddle is probably as high as it will go and the seat all the way back on the rails.

If your knowledge of geometrey is so bad you can't figure out how to make your back angle different as you suggest, you're beyond help.

If you have a bike that looks like it's a few sizes too small...

If you're too busy to take a few hours to get a proper fit, even doing it your self to get it roughly right, so that it benefits the next thousand hours riding.....

Hang on, b.1998? does that mean you're 18? In that case with my experience of youth today, you know everything already, have no need to listen or to learn, and if you have a job, possibly can't understand why you're not running the company, then things would be done right. So why ask any questions on here?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,484
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Saw a few cm off the seat tube bang on in the middle, then hammer the top down until the two sawed ends meet... superglue them together and wrap some gaffer tape for extra strength... that's done... a more relaxed geometry achieved
    Dont understand that nonsense of English (and im from the UK).

jesuspistol.jpg

l_937e3db0-6f0b-11e3-b7a5-d36bb0d00021.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • First.Aspect
    So if you click on his strava link and then on him (I think he idolises the stig), you see a picture of his bike. 20cm of drop to the bars at least, and about a metre of seatpost showing.

Yeah. He's been reading this http://slamthatstem.com/

So, young proto-adult, get a frame that fits. Everything points towards it being a couple of sizes too small for you. And while you are saving your pocket money, get a longer stem and flip it.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I just realised he can't even remove a bottle cage from his other post.

I think he needs a lot of help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The picture of the bike in the "idiot trying to remove a Torx bolt with a screwdriver" thread where he admits he's proud to get himself off explains very readily his issue, he can't buy a bike that is the right size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    So I'm sure there are many reasons why you would have lower back pain, personally mine was because the reach on my bicycle was far too long . I put on a shorter stem but it wasn't enough, eventually I found the shorter stem + saddle all the way forwards + handlebars rotated up slightly helped solve my back pain
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    A shorter stem sorted mine out went from 100 mm to 80 mm worked a treat
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I just realised he can't even remove a bottle cage from his other post.

I think he needs a lot of help.

Oh no - his best achievement is to then fix the bottle cage upside down, and then not realise this until he's half way through a ride. Work that one out...
  • I also have abad back and spent hours and hours adjusting and adding things to get the ergonomics perfect so I can ride unto 100 miles at one go. But I can't be arsed to type about it now
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Too late. he left at 5.41pm. For the last and final time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    cooldad wrote:

Apparently not. "Last active 8.25pm"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,023
    Imposter wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Stalker.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Stalker.

"Last active 9.59pm"
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,023
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Stalker.

"Last active 9.59pm"
    Coming back to see if we're having fun without him.

Who's got the party poppers?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Ride the bike without a saddle and the pain in your a*se will make you soon forget your back pain.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Ride the bike without a saddle and the pain in your a*se will make you soon forget your back pain.
    :shock: :twisted: :lol:
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Some of use have a pain in the a*se at home already and get on the bike to relieve it... :wink::lol: