Next level, 2k and under? Help!

jasonk931
jasonk931 Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello all! So, I have my first year of cycling under my belt, and I'm about to upgrade. I don't want to upgrade too low and end up having to dish more funds later, and I don't want to overdo it considering my level and cycling plans. Any help on the best bike for my budget for an ALL-AROUNDER bike would be highly appreciated.

1. I ride about 50 to 75 miles per week.
2. Im 43 and fit. I weigh 170 an am 5'10
3. Average ride speed in the mountains of Tennessee is around 15mph.
4. I will probably try the occasional competition ride, but mainly just my personal training and enjoyment.
5. I'm finding myself starting to become a gear snob, so eventhough Im not making a plan to ride or compete in anything that would blanket the internet, I still want to look good on it! lol.
6. I find myself wanting a mix of TT and regular bike. IS THAT OUT THERE? Considering I mainly race myself on some of the same routes with each ride being around 20 miles, would a TT bike be best for me?

All info is relative and I know it will change, but just wanted some ideas?

Please forgive any Noob sounding sentences and do not post something derogatory if at all possible?

Favorite part of my rides: Ascending hills. The challenge is exciting.

Reason for taking up cycling: Two years ago I was hit with chemical poisoning and faced deaths door. Glad to be alive and the cardio and sweat cycling provided, cleaned my blood and pores of the toxic load. Glad to be alive and riding through my Tennessee hills!

My budget ceiling is $2,000.00

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Glad your alive - sounds horrendous ! (the poising, not being alive)

Don't like the term all rounder - that steers you towards what are commonly called gravel bikes - something I m not really into.

But from the rest of your post it seems you are more orientated towards race bikes - but perhaps don't want a full agressive position aero bike ?

A couple I have been looking at

cervelo S2

Giant propel advanced

...and the current flavour of the month Canyon will no doubt have something in there a range.

I am biased - but I like Kuota bikes - the kouta kiral is a nice booking bike - easily within budget (105 spec)

http://www.dhwagencies.com/bikes/kuota- ... hiteblack/

its not always that easy - but test ride and get fitted where you can
  • Huge thanks for those lists. Ill check all those out..

Im liking the Kuota alot from my research. Also the Canyon!!!!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    jasonk931 wrote:
    Huge thanks for those lists. Ill check all those out..

Im liking the Kuota alot from my research. Also the Canyon!!!!

Yes they are both nice bikes. i have the kuota kharma - its a few years old now - but supremely comfortable. Canyon deliery times can be a bit hit and miss - you will find more info if you search this forum.

take your time - make sure you get the fit right - if unsure go smaller.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    jasonk931 wrote:
    6. I find myself wanting a mix of TT and regular bike. IS THAT OUT THERE?
    Another two to consider (although perhaps both slightly over your budget?)
    http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/bi ... 2-ultegra/
    http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bikes ... -8340.html

But if you ride in the mountains a lot this sort of TT/aero-road hybrid may not be ideal - not particularly light and you won't gain anything noticeable in aero terms.. They look great though! ;-)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Worth pointing out though that there's a bit of inconsistency in wanting an "all-rounder" if you are also considering a TT bike.. There is nothing less like an all-rounder! :-)