Is it me or the bike? Hacksaw related advice needed!

radiojaja
radiojaja Posts: 94
edited December 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi - some advice please - before I take a hacksaw to my seat post!

Ive had three bikes over the last few years, and while I havent got my self up to a high standard, I was perfectly comfortable on my last bike in most conditions - this was a all mountain Cube AMS pro125.

After having the Cube nicked from the shed, Ive reinvested in a new bike finally, and got myself a Giant Talon. Its lovely on the flat and zooms around brilliantly, feels much faster than the Cube did. I was keen to test ride it before comitting to it, and its behaved brilliantly on what little I managed to throw at it.

Problem is on the local woodland trails, which are relatively technical in places, Im finding Ive lost confidence and am braking into berms and walking the hairy stuff as instinct takes over.

I dont feel very stable on the bike, and while Im just over 6 ft I got it in a medium frame as Ive learned my short arms suit that set up better.

But on the Talon the seat wont drop down past a certain point, and I feel very perched up on top with a lot of weight over the bars. I also slide forward on the seat, adding to the sensation of being perched up there.

Finally, the Talon skips about a lot, back and front. Ive added air to the shocks and turned the rebound down which helps the front end, but the back is alive!

My riding partner has suggested I chop a couple of inches off the post so it will drop more, seating me a little further forward, and helping to get me over the back end more easily.

Im concerned about a couple of thing

1) Am I going to damage the post dangerously so?

2) If the seat goes too low, it impacts my pedalling efficiency right? But my mate reckons the seat even at its lowest is still higher than the top of the stem - Ive not heard about this, but he says it should be no more than level?

Anyone got any insight for me please? Is it too much bike for my skills to handle? Or maybe just being a relatively new bike, and having been spoiled by the 'full susser' do I just need to suck it up? :):)

Thoughts?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    A hardtail will naturally skip around more. That's part of what makes them fun, once you're used to it. If it's excessive, try playing with the tyre pressures.

You do want the saddle to be at the correct height for pedalling - Your legs should be slightly bent at the lowest point of the pedalling circle. The correct saddle height has nothing to do with the bar height, so your friend's reckoning in point 2 is rubbish.

It does definitely help to be able to drop the saddle for technical parts of the trail - That's why dropper posts are popular. If you don't have a dropper, then lowering the seatpost for the technical parts and then raising it for the climbs is an ok substitute. Cutting the post to allow this is fine. You do have to look at the minimum insert depth though. The post will have a minimum insert depth marked on it, normally about 10cm from the end. When you cut it, you need to make sure you still have that 10cm or so insertion when the saddle is at the right height for pedalling.
  • Thanks for that, Id never heard the thing about the seat being level with the stem before, but I have always tried to set up with the leg slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

I'll try a couple of inches off the bottom of the post :)
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    At 6ft you should not have to be cutting a seat post on a medium frame.

Sounds more like your bars are in the wrong place for your short reach, first make sure that the saddle is level or slightly nose down, then move the saddle as far forward as it will go and set at the right height.

Then go and have a ride, if that is an improvement then you need a shorter stem, plus you may need higher rise bars.

I'm only 5' 5" and could ride quite a lot of technical sections on a medium frame even though I ride with the saddle quite high for my height, 34" from pedal to the top of the saddle, to compensate I have a 75mm riser bar and a 50mm stem.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm worried you are on too small a bike, if you have short arms (which go with short legs as they usually go together) you have a longer torso, if you look at a rider side on its the torso that creates the need for frame length not the arms. I am 5''9 and a bit" and use a medium or large frame as I have short arms and legs.

Some side on photos of you in your riding position would help, but there is nothing wrong with cutting the seatpost as long as you make sure you keep a minimum insertion depth of 100mm, make sure you base that on the proper optimum pedaling height.

I hate Giant saddles with a passion.....I find I always slide forward on them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys

Good call on the Giant saddle too, never thought of that haha!