Should you train when you develop delayed onset of muscle soreness?

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in Road general
I just took a 2 monthish break which is the first I have taken. Unexpectedly after a couple days of cycling my calf, hamstring, quad, lower back etc have developed DOMS.

Should I still train or take a day off?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do whatever you like. Muscle soreness is not going to kill you..
  • ride harder until it goes away, ride it off
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I think you should lower your saddle. Or raise it. That will put you further over the spindle and rotate your rotator, which will put less strain on your ulmer and help with the DOMS.

Alternatives include (i) MTFU or (ii) over train and have an injury lay off, during which your DOMS will get better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a sign to turn pro.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    b. 1998 wrote:
    I just took a 2 monthish break which is the first I have taken. Unexpectedly after a couple days of cycling my calf, hamstring, quad, lower back etc have developed DOMS.

Should I still train or take a day off?
    I think I've spotted the problem. If it was completely predictable, would that help?
  • Is it a full moon? can't be arsed checking. If so lock yourself in the house, things might be about to get messy. And bigger.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    If you exercise/cycle/work out through soreness it goes away after a few minutes... if it's really DOMS and you didn't injure something
  • I know someone who trained through lower back soreness. Dead now.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have found that repetitive exercise like cycling, rowing and running to ease the pain of DOMs
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    That's a sign to turn pro.

Only if it's ironic DOMS