Bar end plug advise.

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Am looking to upgrade my bar end plugs to more suit my riding style. Was curious as to the advantage of the various styles i.e. plastic, chrome, carbon fiber. Will the carbon ones really improve my riding experience and make pedaling easier? Or are they overpriced? And what is the most durable brand? Also, how critical is the color coordination of plugs and bar tape? Could a mismatch affect my status in the cycling community? Are there any alternatives to end plugs?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Dennis, may I humbly suggest that, when you finish the rather fine bottle of port you are currently working your way through, you save the cork and put it to some good use? Then, you just need another one...so start on the next bottle :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you're using the carbon end plugs make sure that they don't get wet - only a small bit of advice but I'm sure that someone will be along to shout at me shortly......

Remember - safety first!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you're using the carbon end plugs make sure that they don't get wet - only a small bit of advice but I'm sure that someone will be along to shout at me shortly......

Remember - safety first!

If they get wet, just throw them into next door's garden, eh.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:

Remember - safety first!

If they get wet, just throw them into next door's garden, eh.

Naturally :)

Be sure to smash them with a hammer first though.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I find them all the same, but red tassles are faster.
  • Bar end plugs are too heavy for my riding style, so don't bother with them :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Dennis, may I humbly suggest that, when you finish the rather fine bottle of port you are currently working your way through, you save the cork and put it to some good use? Then, you just need another one...so start on the next bottle :-)
    Now that's useful advice.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    dennisn wrote:
    Am looking to upgrade my bar end plugs to more suit my riding style. Was curious as to the advantage of the various styles i.e. plastic, chrome, carbon fiber. Will the carbon ones really improve my riding experience and make pedaling easier? Or are they overpriced? And what is the most durable brand? Also, how critical is the color coordination of plugs and bar tape? Could a mismatch affect my status in the cycling community? Are there any alternatives to end plugs?

Comedy post? Really?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Whichever ones you chose make sure they are easy to remove else the only way to get rid of them is to saw the end of the bar off. After a couple of sets its a bugger to ride in the drops :P .
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    whatever model you get, either BellEndi2 or E-grip you can t go wrong, both will enhance "your on the drops" experience and clearly you ll be the envy of your riding buddies.
    Personally, i d get the Bellend model these can be customised for a cleaner grip and can even be fitted to your forehead, giving you total control on the "Richard Head" look that seems all the rage in cycling today.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I am not sure material makes too much of a difference in this important area of marginal gainage; Mucking about trying different materials is just a waste of time until you have ensured that the plugs match your valve caps.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ride Hard - Ride Bar End Free
  • No - go Bakelite - a bike just looks wrong with this new fangle stuff that's all show and no go - I mean, what's wrong with Bakelite? Yes, I know cork was used before but cork had lots of drawbacks and Bakelite does the job perfectly well (so, it cracks a bit in the sun and it's a bit brittle). And, yes, I know the rest of my bike is the latest aero carbon with graphene tyres and I have a 2-sided power meter that's accurate to a nano-Watt but I don't see the point in anything other than Bakelite for the plugs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • There are only three ways to go and it's down to personal taste.

1) Cork from a bottle of port

2) metal cage from a bottle of Champagne (Prosecco and Cava don't cut it, 'mfraid)

3) metal cage from a 75cl bottle of Chimay (red or blue it's up to you)
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Go for bullet shaped plugs, they will produce less drag. Proven scientific research says you will save 6.79 watts per side. Ant+ models are also available to view the stats on your Garmin
  • I personally like the new squirtzbarendz - both can be linked to a water reservoir in, say, your second bottle cage and the handy trigger device sits neatly under your brake hoods. Depressing the trigger releases a powerful jet of water into the face of anyone who is trying to pass you on the outside. It's worth deactivating them before chain gang training rides, of course.
    I believe that the new dripzbegone version will offer cable free technology and an extra powerful jet.
    What about a couple of slim line vibrators as bar end plugs. You could turn them on when you are getting fatigued at the end of a ride to aid recovery. They could also be removed to massage any numb parts that might occur on your ride.