How long should a freewheel last?

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited December 2016 in Road general
As per my post in the Workshop thread about the freehub on my Racing Quattros, how long a life expectancy should you get from a freewheel?

My Racing Quattros are 8 months old, have generally been looked after, and have not done a huge amount of miles as I swap them out with another pair of wheels pretty regularly (say no more than 3000).

There is a fair bit of play in the freehub which may just need adjusting however I have a feeling it actually may need replacing.

Is it normal to have to replace a freehub after 3000 miles over 8 months, mostly ridden in the summer?

What sort of maintenance should I have been doing to the freehub if any during this time, most other wheels have been fine for far longer than this with no maintenance?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Brutal wheels. I'm currently filing a second warranty claim for my front wheel after the bearings perished after 400 miles on two occasions. My Fulcrum 7 rear wheel before that last 1100 miles before it gave up. I'll not be buying again and I'm hoping for a refund.
  • Mine lasted a little under a year but it was poorly maintained by me in fact the whole groupset gave up though it was a very cheap end groupset and bike. I rode 5,000 mi in the year.