Is there anything weird about my bike setup?

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited December 2016 in Road general
Just bought the bike and had a little ride with it. Just wanna know if you expert have anything to say about the geometry etc?

http://m.imgur.com/EGgcQBx

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is that saddle level? Hard to see from the angle.

Nothing outrageous to my eyes - but what does it look like with you on it?
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    as above saddle looks like its pointing up waaay to much. maybe take a proper picture which isnt blurry and taken at a lower level, bars look ok.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - a pic of just the bike tells us nothing about how it fits you. You need to be on it.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As above really although from the picture the saddle looks to be pointing upwards and is also right back on the rails with a set-back seat-post. Assuming this is necessary to get the reach correct for you I'd suggest you need a larger frame size.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    As above, setup could be spot on...or not! The saddle setback would be necessary for someone with long thighs (relative to everything else) or it could be set incorrectly, impossible to tell without the rider being on the bike, clipped in with the cranks horizontal.

Rather than concentrate on the bike without a rider, OP, what do you think is wrong and why?

As an aside, that big cog on the back looks, err, big. What is the cassette range?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The photo isn't quite side on - the back wheel is slightly lower than the front wheel, which may be what makes the saddle look angled up. Presumably you got some advice from the bike shop when you bought it.

Are you having issues on your rides?

Any way, welcome to the forum. And don't make the mistake of thinking we are experts!
  • mrfpb wrote:
    The photo isn't quite side on - the back wheel is slightly lower than the front wheel, which may be what makes the saddle look angled up. Presumably you got some advice from the bike shop when you bought it.

Are you having issues on your rides?

Any way, welcome to the forum. And don't make the mistake of thinking we are experts!
    I get neck and lower back pain after any ride over 60 mins. So I have lowered the seat and moved the seat backwards as in the picture. Will this suppress the pain on my neck and lower back?
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    As above, setup could be spot on...or not! The saddle setback would be necessary for someone with long thighs (relative to everything else) or it could be set incorrectly, impossible to tell without the rider being on the bike, clipped in with the cranks horizontal.

Rather than concentrate on the bike without a rider, OP, what do you think is wrong and why?

As an aside, that big cog on the back looks, err, big. What is the cassette range?
    Nothing unusual 11/28.
  • b. 1998 wrote:
    I get neck and lower back pain after any ride over 60 mins. So I have lowered the seat and moved the seat backwards as in the picture. Will this suppress the pain on my neck and lower back?

My hunch, and it is just a hunch, is that really the frame is too small for you and you are trying to compensate with lots of seatpost and lots of setback. Which then means a relatively big drop from saddle to bar hoods, which could well give you lower back and neck grief.

In which case, I would trying flipping the stem to raise the front end (if it isn't already), otherwise buy a steep angled stem to raise the front end further. For example, the 17 degree 110mm variant could raise the bars by ~26mm over a 6 degree 90mm.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STPX3DF/pl ... orged-stem

Handy calculator for comparing stems...
    http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php :wink:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Bobbinogs
    I think you are trying to solve issues with the wrong solutions. Seat height should not be the solution to anything other than legs (as in, it should be set based on leg extension...ideally optimal extension but not overlooking comfort, usually determined by hamstring flex, etc). Once the seat height is dialed in, leave it. Then work from there. Setback is usually determined by thigh length (traditionalists will do knee over pedal but this isn't always accurate). Once that is set and pedaling doesn't overwork the top of the knee but still allows a good knee extension, then work on reach/lower back with the bar height and position.

Looks like a Tarmac, what size is it and what height are you? That should help with the basics of the right frame (to a degree). As a guide, I am 5'10 and ride a 54 Allez E5 (roughly the same geo).
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think you are trying to solve issues with the wrong solutions. Seat height should not be the solution to anything other than legs (as in, it should be set based on leg extension...ideally optimal extension but not overlooking comfort, usually determined by hamstring flex, etc). Once the seat height is dialed in, leave it. Then work from there. Setback is usually determined by thigh length (traditionalists will do knee over pedal but this isn't always accurate). Once that is set and pedaling doesn't overwork the top of the knee but still allows a good knee extension, then work on reach/lower back with the bar height and position.

Looks like a Tarmac, what size is it and what height are you? That should help with the basics of the right frame (to a degree). As a guide, I am 5'10 and ride a 54 Allez E5 (roughly the same geo).
    I'm the same height as you with also a 54 frame. I noticed my handlebar width is 400. Could this also be the issue?
  • Bobbinogs
    No. I would start at the beginning for getting the setup as above and then see if you still have issues. Many people have issues with lower back because they set bar height/reach where they want it rather than where it should be for their flexibility. Wanting to look pro with a slammed front can also cause issues for most of us (not saying this is your problem, btw). Get the seat in the right place first and then work on the bars. By the way, I do set my saddle back in a similar way but not to the same extreme.

Bear in mind that some lower back issues are also caused because folks stay in the drops for the whole ride or don't adjust position every now and then. Human bodies are not made to stay comfortable in a fixed position.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    There is usually a graduation scale on one of the saddle rails with a max point at each end which you should not really position the saddle rail past the edge of the seat post cradle/clamp. It looks like you have pushed the saddle as far back as it will go and it is also not level, put a spirit level on it and move it forward so that the max scale marker is level with the front of the seat post cradle/clamp is my advice.