How do i remove these bottlecages screw?

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in Road general
http://m.imgur.com/vMN2b5u

It seems like a screwdriver isnt helping me?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Because they are Torx heads...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    That looks like a Torx bolt, most likely T25 size.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Because they are Torx heads...
    Fuck me ive just ordered another fucking screwdriver i thought my other screwdriver was not working.
  • How bloody stupid to have bottle cages with Torx heads, though. I know they're becoming more common (especially because they're manufacturing/automation friendly) but I bet it's a small proportion of the population that have Torx drivers and bottle cages are those things that you'd expect Joe Public to want to fit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are allen keys on their way out?
  • cougie wrote:

They're far less common than they were but I don't think they'll disappear any time soon. But look at many modern cars or household appliances and where there used to be Phillips and Allen screws, there are now Torx. If you don't have a set of Torx drivers, it's only a matter of time before you'll need them.

The one upside of Torx is that, if you find a damaged Allen screw head, you can often tap a slightly oversized Torx bit into the hole and undo the screw.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cougie wrote:

They're far less common than they were but I don't think they'll disappear any time soon. But look at many modern cars or household appliances and where there used to be Phillips and Allen screws, there are now Torx. If you don't have a set of Torx drivers, it's only a matter of time before you'll need them.

The one upside of Torx is that, if you find a damaged Allen screw head, you can often tap a slightly oversized Torx bit into the hole and undo the screw.
    So how can I get this shîtty screw off without a torx?
  • Honestly, you'll struggle. If it's not tight, you might persuade an Allen key to shift it if you can find just the right size. BUT be really careful- you might damage the screw or the key or both.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    If it was me, I would buy a Torx tool of the right size, but as you have no cage on, assuming you have some good mole grips (doesn't everyone have at least one pair?) I would very gingerly have a go to see if I could get it moving.

I expect the head is unreliable now anyway, so would replace it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Get a torx driver or get a driver with interchangeable heads that includes torx. Check your bike's other bolts - levers, saddle, front and rear derailleurs, brake blocks and ensure you get tools to fit all of them. Then you need to decide if you need to replace the bolts with something more common (eg allen key compatible or hexagonal heads) as you will need to carry the right tools on long rides to ensure you can fettle when needed. As your bike is new, you are likely to get rattles and such like after a month or so of riding that you will want to address "on the go"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, you will need tools of some kind. I would either go with getting the Torx (which may not work given the attempts to date) or molegrips (but you will have to be VERY careful not to scuff the downtube whilst turning the bolt). Decent heavy pliers could also work but would have the same risk as the molegrips.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    The deal is simple: money!
    Basically a torx head has more slots and therefore more surface area than an Allen, Phillips or screwdriver bolt head. That means (technically speaking) that you can manufacture it out of cheaper and softer alloys of steel, alu or ti without anyone noticing, meaning more profit for corporations!

That said, if someone makes a torx bolt from good quality materials, then fair play, nothing intrinsically wrong with that, other than it being a new unnecessary standard that nobody really needed.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Looks like you had a good go at rounding it off.
    You could quite easily get that out with a flat headed screwdriver of the right size, or the tip of a dinner knife etc if you really didnt want to buy the right tool...
  • You get a tool that will sort this when you buy a Canyon, the simple solution here is to buy a Canyon then use the tool to sort your bolts out.
  • daniel_b
    You get a tool that will sort this when you buy a Canyon, the simple solution here is to buy a Canyon then use the tool to sort your bolts out.

I'm guessing he wants to fit a bottlecage before 2018 though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Buy a set of these http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... ar-key-set or if you own a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive ratchet you can buy the individual sized Torx bit http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... t-rail-3-8
  • Probably your best bet is to buy a new bike.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    If you are determined not to buy the correct torx bit I suggest trying the following. Get the smallest worm drive (Jubilee) clip you can get and tighten it round the protruding head of the bolt. Then use an open ended spanner against the worm drive to unscrew it complete with bolt. If you are careful you will not damage anything. If you do not have a clip and spanner its probably cheaper to buy the torx bit.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mole grips.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just use a junior hacksaw or Dremel to cut a screwdriver slot across the bolt.

That said given the fact you thought that bolt was meant to take a screwdriver perhaps hand tools (and bike maintenance) aren't for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    DJ58 wrote:
    Buy a set of these http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... ar-key-set or if you own a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive ratchet you can buy the individual sized Torx bit http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... t-rail-3-8

Someone who is not competent at bike fixing could do all sorts of damage with a 1/2 in drive socket set. A 1/2 in ratchet handle and a 5mm bolt is asking for trouble. A 1/4in set is more suited to bike work.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Just use a junior hacksaw or Dremel to cut a screwdriver slot across the bolt.

That said given the fact you thought that bolt was meant to take a screwdriver perhaps hand tools (and bike maintenance) aren't for you!
    Shut your mouth up right now. I've gotten it off
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    niiice...
  • daniel_b
    cougie wrote:
    niiice...

To be fair, I think this member is from Troll central, just check out some of his other threads to see what I mean.

This is his bike:
    gIVB1sZh.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    niiice...

To be fair, I think this member is from Troll central, just check out some of his other threads to see what I mean.

This is his bike:
    gIVB1sZh.jpg
    This is for u
    cec0zFk.jpg

And yeah thats my old bike. Dont think for a sec there are fake wheel (i took them from my TT bike). If you look closer on the pedals, you'll see i have garmin vectors aswell.
  • daniel_b
    :lol: Nice attitude shown again 8)

And thankyou, but I already have a pretty comprehensive tool kit.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of help and assistance off this forum in 2017.

I recognised the vectors and the fact the pods are not at the required 90 degrees to the crank, which they need to be so they can measure power as accurately as possible, almost like they had been thrown on for the picture, some might think.

Loving the contrasting saddle rail positions too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    niiice...

This is his bike:
    gIVB1sZh.jpg
    This is for u
    cec0zFk.jpg

And yeah thats my old bike. Dont think for a sec there are fake wheel (i took them from my TT bike). If you look closer on the pedals, you'll see i have garmin vectors aswell.

To be honest I'm not sure which is the biggest tool, the ones you are displaying or you. Most (if not all) who responded to your initial request were being helpful and trying to make sure you did not do further damage to your bike. Given the state of the second bike I think most people will not bother in the future.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • bbrap wrote:
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    niiice...

This is his bike:
    gIVB1sZh.jpg
    This is for u
    cec0zFk.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure which is the biggest tool, the ones you are displaying or you. Most (if not all) who responded to your initial request were being helpful and trying to make sure you did not do further damage to your bike. Given the state of the second bike I think most people will not bother in the future.
    Bro what's wrong with the state of the second bike? It's brand new
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Appears to be way too small for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm loving the saddle position on both bikes :shock: