size up or down - stupid longer legs :-/

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited December 2016 in Road general
It's been brought up in previous threads, but all very messy so would like some fresh opinions :)

I am 5'9" but have an inseam of 33", maybe half an inch more but was scared of how hard to push the book up again that area!

Because of the longer leg/shorter torso problem - I have always found that standard mediums/54 have been a harsh reach for me (with the usual 100mm+stems they come with) and a small/51-53 feels much better but with a longer stem and saddle quite high up, giving a harsher drop.

2 bikes I have:

54cm Specialized (54.8 T-T length) - 90mm stem - 2 spacers above stem)
53 Cube Pro (horizonal T-T 53) - 100m stem - 2 spacer below stem)

If I am honest, the smaller cube feels a nicer ride. I am looking to buy another bike and this time want the fit to be perfect, so would like to some advise on guys who could ride 2 sizes of bike.

From what I have read, there are pros and cons on both going up or down and that UCI pro riders (yes, that is definitely not me) ride smaller frames these days with longer stems?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm not a UCI ride but am a tad over 6'1 - all legs, no torso and ride 57 with a 110mm stem: quite a big saddle to bar drop as am still quite flexible.

I personally prefer a smaller frame as it feels stiffer and more clickable, however it's all very personal.

Why not get a bike fit as part of the buying package: get it done before buying and order frame from there?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    @ OP: As your dimensions are at a distance from the mean you might find that in your case a custom frame is worth considering......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chatlow
    I live in Wales and yes, I will most likely get a bike fit done prior to buying a new one. Up until now, I've followed various online bikefit methods and they have been very accurate.

The point of this thread is because, based on my measurements, I could technically fit both Small and Medium frames (take Giant for example) but would have to change the stem length on both setups, especially on the Medium.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can't really make a bike that's too big fit you. But you can make a slightly small bike fit you.
  • chatlow
    cougie wrote:
    You can't really make a bike that's too big fit you. But you can make a slightly small bike fit you.

I'm leaning more towards this too
  • How about a smaller endurance type frame with a taller headtube?
    I'm a bit of an inbetweenie and just took the chance on a smaller frame after checking the front end height to make sure it wasn't too low. I bought second hand and asked for the front dropout to top of steerer length so I could see how it was compared to my existing bike.
  • I just go on stack/reach now as I have found that for me these are the two measurement points that remain consistent, I know not everyone uses them but it works for me. This takes the guesswork out of trying to compare effective TT, seat angles etc etc across frames and manufacturers. Once you have these measurements nailed for you the question of small v medium becomes less important IMO, you just pick the frame that has the correct stack/reach.

To give an example, I currently have a 52cm Spesh and a 45cm colnago. If I went on TT length, the spesh is 2cm longer yet the reach (both with 11cm stem) is the same. Most people would assume logically that the colnago is going to be a much smaller frame but in reality it isn't.

IMO with cycling becoming a much more popular sport and so many bikes on the market most with slightly differing geometries, the idea of bike fitting has got a bit over complicated and gets presented as being much more of a science than it is. Ultimately get the size that feels right for your body shape and riding style, which as you say seems to be leaning more towards smaller sizes.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I have pretty much the same challenge, 5ft 10, 34 inch leg.

I can ride my 54 Scott with a flipped 90mm stem.

But the Synapse was a revelation for me in terms of comfort. Again in a 54 size, and still went for a 90mm stem, but the stem can be in the correct orientation, and I have oodles of room to slam the front end as I become more flexible.

For those with long legs/short torso, I really think so called Endurance bikes are the off the shelf solution. I liked it so much, I bought a second one!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Not suggesting you buy one, but if I were you I would go and sit on a Defy Small and Medium and Cannondale Synapse 51 and 54, I think endurance geometry may help you decide which way to go.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Think about your riding position, if you prefer a lot of saddle to bar drop then this is not too much of an issue. If you want a more upright position then you are likely looking at a more upright stem or flipping the stem upright. I am between two sizes and chose the smaller size with an flipped stem as the extra reach etc. felt wrong on the larger sized frame.

Main thing is get the bike that fits and makes you want to get out and ride.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I agree with the above - there are so many different geometries out there now it shouldn't be a problem to find something with a shorter reach for someone with a shorter torso. As above get the stack and reach of a bike you've owned as a basis for buying your new bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]