Di2 charging lights.

noodleman
noodleman Posts: 852
edited December 2016 in Road general
Having intermittent problems with my ultegra di2. The system kept suddenly going flat. Replaced the battery but still no joy. It now seems when on charge if I wiggle one of the connectors in the front junction box it causes the orange light on the charger to flash? Also when I hold down the lever for charge status I get a green light but then a green and red at the same time. Not sure it used to do this :?
argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
Rose pro sl disc

Comments

• Is this the same thing as you're seeing: viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13074332
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Seems similar. Just notice when whilst wiggling the one connector it stops the gears front shifting. Looks very much like a dodgy wire. I'll order a new one but actually finding the second junction box is proving very difficult. I've had the cranks off but can't see any way of getting at it.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • I'd think it's more likely that the connector isn't properly seated.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Disconnected and reconnected it and all the others just to be sure. Still seems to be just the one. Even swapped the wires round in the port and it's still the same wire causing problems.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • noodleman wrote:
    Disconnected and reconnected it and all the others just to be sure. Still seems to be just the one. Even swapped the wires round in the port and it's still the same wire causing problems.

OK - you found the junction box ok then?
  • I can see the other one. Looks like the bb needs to come out to get at it though. The dodgy wire even makes the charge status light go on when you move it. Surely that's got to be the problem?
    Rose pro sl disc
  • It sounds like the wire is the issue - is it the one from the stem to the BB? I'm assuming it's just small movements you're making at the stem junction box to get the fault to appear? If so, it sounds like a duff cable with a manufacturing fault.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade another one of your bikes to Etap :)
  • It sounds like the wire is the issue - is it the one from the stem to the BB? I'm assuming it's just small movements you're making at the stem junction box to get the fault to appear? If so, it sounds like a duff cable with a manufacturing fault.

Yeah. That's exactly what's happening. Looks like changing a wire is going to be a right pain in the arse.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • It depends how hard the BB is to remove. I've been put off doing stuff before now because of the BB then been pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The Jamis came as a mech system but I ordered hydraulic Di2 for it. Swapped over "as new" so selling the mech bits was easy. BB removal was straightforward - in fact only bleeding the rear brake was difficult mostly because I wasn't familiar with road hydraulics and Shimano's gravity system - MTB used syringes.

Good luck with it.