Tights

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I bought some basic bin tights from decathlon today and found that the "braces" were too tight and I couldn't get them comfortably over my shoulders. I'm 1m87 with a 33" inside leg. Any suggestions for low cost Bib tights that work better for me?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to offer anything useful, tbh - as fit is obviously a very personal/individual thing - a bit like asking people to suggest what size trousers you should buy. I would suggest looking for any other makes of bibs, other than the Decathlon ones which you have already tried.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Tashman wrote:
    Hi all, I bought some basic bin tights from decathlon today and found that the "braces" were too tight and I couldn't get them comfortably over my shoulders. I'm 1m87 with a 33" inside leg. Any suggestions for low cost Bib tights that work better for me?

Some tights are made to be comfortable on the bike. Have you tried riding with these?

Try DHB ones. I don't think you can go cheaper than Decathlon except Aldi?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Some tights are made to be comfortable on the bike. Have you tried riding with these?

Try DHB ones. I don't think you can go cheaper than Decathlon except Aldi?

Yup - used DHB for years and they are really good.

Also check Lusso: I haven't used their winter stuff but their aero bibs shorts are lovely and a very, very good price (Merlin do the best deals and you get free postage).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    I recommend Sportful. Size large is long enough for me at 6'4". I've got the Grupettos and the R&Ds which are both great. Should be some decent deals around in the sales at present too.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    I recommend Sportful. Size large is long enough for me at 6'4". I've got the Grupettos and the R&Ds which are both great. Should be some decent deals around in the sales at present too.
    Disagree!
    I have the Spoftful R&D also but also find the straps to be on the tight side.
    I have long legs (5'11", 35" inside leg) and have the XL. The size 'L' I tried were much too tight on the straps. Maybe there is a lot of variation in the sizing...?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Ascot17 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Disagree!
    I have long legs (5'11", 35" inside leg) and have the XL. The size 'L' I tried were much too tight on the straps. Maybe there is a lot of variation in the sizing...?

Some tights are made for bike position. One of my Asos is so ridiculous I can hardly stand properly but whilst I am on the bike it is perfect.
  • Tashman
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Ascot17 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Disagree!

Some tights are made for bike position. One of my Asos is so ridiculous I can hardly stand properly but whilst I am on the bike it is perfect.
    I haven't tried bike position in these but couldn't stand without feeling like I had cheese wire over my shoulders
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have some Parentini bib tights which have long straps. However the hairs on my legs stick through the Lycra looks a bit weird.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you hoiked the crotch up properly?

If no good - then PX work for me.

How come you're metrically tall but have an imperial inside leg? I think you're about my size.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Couldn't wear 'em, unless I considered giving ballet a go. As bad as our lycra look already is, no need to make it worse.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Tashman
    cougie wrote:
    Have you hoiked the crotch up properly?

If no good - then PX work for me.

How come you're metrically tall but have an imperial inside leg? I think you're about my size.
    Yes, hoiked right up. Might try PX next price bracket up I guess. I've never measured my inside leg metricly.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    hsiaolc wrote:

This is right for the perfect fit - ok, maybe not "ridiculously" tight on standing, but a great fit and cut with a quality pair of bibs will feel slightly awkward on standing, but perfect on the bike.

Anyway, at your budget, just go DHB via Wiggle - free returns, it's a no brainer.

I have Rapha bibs, but my favourite winter bibs are DHB (interestingly, the Rapha ones feel tight on standing, as above, but the DHBs are much stretchier and don't feel tight at all - I suspect because the panels aren't so well tailored and technical - both feel perfect on the bike)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive got a mix of DHB an PX not had any issues.

Planet X Clubman Roubaix s or windshields in large are comfortable an I'm 1.8M

Prefer the fit on the planet X, its more "generous" plenty more upward stretch in them.

Clubmans
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXCCCOB/ ... bib-tights
    Windshields
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXWISHBT ... -bib-tight
  • Search Fdx on Amazon. Got a few pairs of bib shorts and bib tights and they are very comfortable and only £20ish too! Make sure you read the reviews on sizing and go for the larger size if you fall on a border size.