DazTheBeard
DazTheBeard Posts: 12
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
Finally after 5 years of none cycling, took the plunge and bought myself a Brompton M6L to commute to work.
8 miles a day won't kill me will it ?!

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Nah perfect starter distance that, I used to regularly see a guy on my commute who did 10 miles each way on a brompton, QAF n all.

Welcome to the club.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Nah perfect starter distance that, I used to regularly see a guy on my commute who did 10 miles each way on a brompton, QAF n all.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks Prawny, roll on tomorrow
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    "One of us, one of us!"
    </chant>
    Welcome!
    Good time to start - it gets lighter and warmer from now on.

(Cue snow warnings next week)
  • DrLex wrote:
    "One of us, one of us!"
    </chant>
    Welcome!
    Good time to start - it gets lighter and warmer from now on.

(Cue snow warnings next week)[/quote

Bloody cold and icy in Manchester today. Nice to meet you too
    Dr Lex
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Finally after 5 years of none cycling, took the plunge and bought myself a Brompton M6L to commute to work.

Welcome! 8 miles is perfect distance, depending on hills in the way!
    Good luck with it!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Finally after 5 years of none cycling, took the plunge and bought myself a Brompton M6L to commute to work.

Welcome! 8 miles is perfect distance, depending on hills in the way!
    Good luck with it!

It is flat as thankfully. Great cycle lanes in South Manchester. I am blessed LOL
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • drshoe
    drshoe Posts: 27
    The distance shouldn't be a problem at all. However it would be a good idea not to do 5 days a week right from the beginning, start with maybe 2 or 3 is my advice.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Time to move. Or get a new job.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605

it will in about 6 months when you are sat down that evening wishing it was a 12mile ride
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    fat daddy wrote:

it will in about 6 months when you are sat down that evening wishing it was a 12mile ride
    :D
    there is a benefit in "oh, I accidently on purpose had the small, light cycle related thing delivered to the wrong shop".....
    or just being faster, and therefore happy with a detour for a view!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcp wrote:
    Welcome!

Cheers
  • fat daddy wrote:

ha ha can not wait for warmer weather
  • Make sure you get a decent rain jacket, one that is breathable.

I also go SE Manchester into NQ (back roads mind, A6 is deadly) and whilst I see the sun is shining now, it'll more often than not P it down either on the way in or home.

I'm also banned from riding on ice due to a sprog incoming.
    The Monkeys are out to get me!
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
  • 8 miles seem reasonable. My cycle to work (when I can be bothered) is just about three miles which is more than enough when it comes to the hills of Devon.

I will admit I do only tend to cycle to work when I'm on middle shifts (2pm to 10pm), earlies or nights I tend to take the scooter out of laziness at not wanting to cycle at 5 in the morning!
  • Welcome Daz. 8 miles should be fine (although not sure what that's like on a Brompton!?

I commute 10 miles from Altrincham to town most days down the canal and that's going ok so far. Would second the comments that it's not good to do it everyday and you need a good rain jacket!

Bottled it this morning and didn't risk the ice, can be treacherous alongside the canal in the dark! (And i was warm in bed).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    fat daddy wrote:

There is no rule stating that you have to go straight home.
    In fact, I rarely did during the summer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.