Heart rate much higher than on first ride back in 10 weeks

Blond
Blond Posts: 36
edited January 2017 in Road general
Not only am i going slower than when I was fit (which is expected), but my HR is much higher.

How long will till it suppresses to normal?

Comments

• Loads of factors in this question.

Firstly, when I was doing up to 250k a week of commuting, I noticed my HR was higher on a Monday morning than a Friday morning as I was less fatigued on Monday.

Secondly, how quickly your "fitness" comes back depends upon lots of things - not least of which is how long have you been fit before you stopped. If you've been fit for years, it will tend to come back quicker. If not, it will probably take longer - I'm guessing it's the latter else you probably wouldn't be asking the question. Fitness is a range of adaptations some of which are quicker to gain than others.

It's too complex a question for a simple answer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yes, too complex for a simple answer, but I'll have a go based on my experience!

If you ride with the same intensity and volume as you did pre-break it takes approximately the same time that you were off the bike to get that fitness back. So my estimate is about 10 weeks and you'll be back where you were in terms of aerobic fitness. I've had a quiet three months on the bike since autumn and my HR was about 10 bpm higher than it was before for any given exertion. I've now done a month of training since my lull and I'm back to within 5 bpm and still a bit down on power. I have stepped up intensity a little to what I was doing over the summer, so I might be back to where I was within 3 months if all goes well. The previous year I hardly cycled for 6 months and it took me about 5 months to get back my fitness.

But as meanredspider says, there are lots of factors at play...
  • Ditch your heart rate monitor then you'll stop worrying about it.
  • Gotta say that I only use one when I'm trying to pace my effort to something low these days
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Blond wrote:

How long will till it suppresses to normal?

Whut
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Yes, too complex for a simple answer, but I'll have a go based on my experience!

If you ride with the same intensity and volume as you did pre-break it takes approximately the same time that you were off the bike to get that fitness back. So my estimate is about 10 weeks and you'll be back where you were in terms of aerobic fitness. I've had a quiet three months on the bike since autumn and my HR was about 10 bpm higher than it was before for any given exertion. I've now done a month of training since my lull and I'm back to within 5 bpm and still a bit down on power. I have stepped up intensity a little to what I was doing over the summer, so I might be back to where I was within 3 months if all goes well. The previous year I hardly cycled for 6 months and it took me about 5 months to get back my fitness.

But as meanredspider says, there are lots of factors at play...
    I do not always respond to threads but when someone posts something as stupid as this I have to. According to your dumbness, if someone is off the bike for a day, it will take them a day to recover to full fitness or if someone is off for a year, it will a whole year even though i've only been cycling for 2 days? You my friend should be in jail for your levels of stupidity. You are clearly misinformed (to say in the most nicest) about fitness and aspects such as hemoglobin levels, it beggers belief.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah yes. If only people were sentenced to jail for stupidity. I can think of one good contender for a life sentence.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Our 18 year old future pro-cyclist/MMA fighter/Premiership footballer (depending on which he chooses as he's good enough for any of them) - prime candidate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    b. 1998 wrote:
    I do not always respond to threads but when someone posts something as stupid as this I have to go one better

Hang on, I thought you'd f@cked off to school or something and couldn't be bothered with the forum any more?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    cougie wrote:
    Aah yes. If only people were sentenced to jail for stupidity. I can think of one good contender for a life sentence.

I can think of a couple. Picturing this one in a cell with President Elect Trump makes me smile a bit.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Look at the date guys - thread was bumped....

And yes I realise that posting will re-bump it but as it is already at the top.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D