Shimano 5700 rear mech jockey wheels

slowmonkey
slowmonkey Posts: 48
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

No matter how many times I have stripped the jockey wheels down on my rear mech, the annoying mental torture of the squeak returns after a good few miles.

So, looking to replace them.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives to the stock jockey wheels on this rear mech?

Are there any alternative 10 speed mechs available? I run 105 10 speed 5700.

Thanks,

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never had squeaky jockey wheels. Are you sure that's what it is?
  • cougie wrote:
    I've never had squeaky jockey wheels. Are you sure that's what it is?

Pretty sure. New chain set and bb on bike, and new chain. All cleaned, lubed regularly.

Jockey wheels are nice and quiet for a while after stripping, cleaning and greasing. But then the squeak returns!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's very odd. I got 8 years out of my original 5600 rear mech and replaced it with a 5700 2 years ago. Never had a squeak out of either. Are you squirting degreaser at the thing?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, that's a new one on me too! I would just buy some more standard Shimano replacements. They don't cost a lot and it is always worth having a spare set around. Buy them/swap them...see if the squeek goes away. If not, refit the old ones, keep the new set of jockey wheels for spare and look elsewhere for the squeek!
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yepp, that's a new one on me too! I would just buy some more standard Shimano replacements. They don't cost a lot and it is always worth having a spare set around. Buy them/swap them...see if the squeek goes away. If not, refit the old ones, keep the new set of jockey wheels for spare and look elsewhere for the squeek!

Doubting myself now! Pretty sure that's what it is, but this is the way I shall go. Only a tenner for replacements.

Thanks all...
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    slowmonkey wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Doubting myself now! Pretty sure that's what it is, but this is the way I shall go. Only a tenner for replacements.

Thanks all...

If you've not bought them yet, halfrauds had the 5700 RD for 22 with BC discount, get a full DR for an extra £12.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • If it makes you feel better, I have exactly the same problem. I run 105 5700 and my jockey wheels squeak. They are 3 years old now, so perhaps it is time to change them. It is definitely the jockey wheels as it's more pronounced under shifting when the chain is pulling at them across the line of movement. I have also cleaned them, regreased them and the noise goes away for a while then comes back.

I'm just going to replace them with some more shimano ones, albeit, I have found some ceramic Tacx jockey wheels for a pretty good price...
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    If these are the same as the 6700 then I'd advise sticking with them.

I've a set on my 10 speed mtb running an SRAM X0 derailleur and they are the best I've tried. The OEM X0s lasted minutes (okay months) and appeared to be made of cheese, the expensive CNC ones with ceramic bearings lasted longer but were £40. The 6700s/XTs seem to last long and not be much more than a tenner!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191571144858? ... EBIDX%3AIT
  • GrenW wrote:

I've a set on my 10 speed mtb running an SRAM X0 derailleur and they are the best I've tried. The OEM X0s lasted minutes (okay months) and appeared to be made of cheese, the expensive CNC ones with ceramic bearings lasted longer but were £40. The 6700s/XTs seem to last long and not be much more than a tenner!

I aways use these on my 105 mechs. The original 105 pulleys use only a basic steel bush bearing, and I wear them out in less than 3 months.
    The 6700 pulleys are proper bearings - with a ceramic bush in the guide pulley, and a ball race in the tension pulley.
  • Mine did the same, changed for fairly standard Shimano ones and all sorted
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    GrenW wrote:

I aways use these on my 105 mechs. The original 105 pulleys use only a basic steel bush bearing, and I wear them out in less than 3 months.
    The 6700 pulleys are proper bearings - with a ceramic bush in the guide pulley, and a ball race in the tension pulley.

That's good to know; might treat my bikes to a little upgrade!
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    > No matter how many times I have stripped the jockey wheels down on my rear mech, the annoying mental torture of the squeak returns after a good few miles.

Surely just oiling them will solve this?!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    the bushed ones can easily become contaminated, then they don't last well

i put tacx ones on my commute bike to replace the crappy shimano ones, over 5 years of cack, rain, salt spray etc., still going strong

https://www.merlincycles.com/tacx-jocke ... 56128.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hope ones are decent...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D