Realtime location sharing app with planned route GPX

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited December 2016 in Road general
Is anyone aware of a realtime location sharing app like Glympse which lets you file a ride plan in the form of a GPX file and ideally show your likely ETA based on progress?

I've not managed to find anything which does the job yet and would definitely welcome suggestions.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• What device are you using? Some Garmins have tracking functionality (via a phone) but I don't know if it will give an ETA.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyeb
    I'm using a Garmin EDGE 800 (so no phone connectivity, unfortunately), although I have an iPhone with me.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    My Elemnt tells me the remaining distance on a GPX route and it has ride sharing (which I've not tried).

What about the Strava app?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    andyeb wrote:
    I'm using a Garmin EDGE 800 (so no phone connectivity, unfortunately), although I have an iPhone with me.

Strava Beacon on phone, might be a premium only offering though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I use a combination of garmin live track and apple find my friends with my missus so she can see me. Neither show planned route but both do a reasonable job at showing where you are.
  • andyeb
    Looked at Strava Beacon - yes it's a premium only feature, but I currently have premium so that's not an issue.

However, it seems to have been specifically designed to only share your location with a closed group of people (e.g. contacts of Facebook friends). What I want to do is share my location with a Facebook group of fellow long distance cycling commuters from around Surrey.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Glympse will do it - free app on iOS and Android.
    Doesn't drain the battery much, very reliable, the only drawback being 4 hour maximum run time. However, when it runs out takes seconds to give yourself another 4 hours.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Sorry - didn't see the last post. Don't think Glympse will do that - but if you location share on Google+ it will. Just enable public viewing sharing so anyone can see.
  • andyeb
    super_davo wrote:
    Sorry - didn't see the last post. Don't think Glympse will do that - but if you location share on Google+ it will. Just enable public viewing sharing so anyone can see.

Thanks for the tip. I wondered if I emailed the Glympse link to myself, then copy & pasted that into the Facebook group whether it would work or not. Still no route functionality though, which is why I'm asking the question to find if there is a better general alternative available.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    andyeb wrote:

Use the Cyclemeter app which is only available to the iPhone. I used it when the LiveTrack function of the 810 was being hampered by a firmware upgrade and it functions exactly the same way. You simply enter the email of the intended recipient.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.