Ultegra 6800 hub

Blackbrogue
Blackbrogue Posts: 17
edited December 2016 in Workshop
According to artscycles video regreasing these bearings is very easy. However, having these hubs on 2 of my bikes, one Ultegra 6800 wheelset and the other a handmade set with archetype rims I have 2 questions. Firstly, on the Ultegra wheelset I just can't loosen the retaining nuts on the front wheel at all as they have been overtightened. I've tried my best but stopped fearing I'd damage something or snap my Allen key. Second question, on the handmade wheel hub that was easily opened up, the bearings were held in a cage preventing removal of the bearings due to the rubber diaphragm seal which a few sites have recommended not to remove - but without doing so I can't remove the bearings. Any advice on either of these problems welcomed.

Comments

• I just can't loosen the retaining nuts on the front wheel at all as they have been overtightened
    04WD-40.jpg?itok=7yC1yFcq
    the bearings were held in a cage preventing removal of the bearings due to the rubber diaphragm seal which a few sites have recommended not to remove - but without doing so I can't remove the bearings
    Remove it. Gently! Will be fine.