Ultegra Carbon Pedals v 105 Carbon Pedals

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Whats the difference apart from 25g?

I have had a look on the Shimano website and there is very little information on there, so anyone know what the actual difference is and why plump up the extra dosh to go for the Ultegra ones?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    JesseD wrote:
    Whats the difference apart from 25g?

I have had a look on the Shimano website and there is very little information on there, so anyone know what the actual difference is and why plump up the extra dosh to go for the Ultegra ones?

Thanks

I have had both and couldn't tell any difference.
  • I feel this is an area where Ultegra becomes redundant, once 105 carbon pedals were released the only choice is 105 or Dura-ace.
    Buy the 105, unless you can afford/justify the extra £100 for Dura-ace.
  • I feel this is an area where Ultegra becomes redundant, once 105 carbon pedals were released the only choice is 105 or Dura-ace.

Probably about right
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    R550s are excellent too, only a few grams more than the 105s and a fair bit cheaper. A massive improvement on the R540s as they have the same wider platform and metal wear plate as higher up the range. So on the basis that 105 renders Ultegra redundant, you could also say R550s render 105s redundant too...
  • JesseD
    Is there any difference in the spring tension or ability to change it?

Never pulled a foot out in my Ultegra pedals I have now (old alloy ones) and I have them quite tight for sprinting when racing, can I get the same locked in feeling with the 105' carbon pedals?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    JesseD wrote:
    Is there any difference in the spring tension or ability to change it?

Never pulled a foot out in my Ultegra pedals I have now (old alloy ones) and I have them quite tight for sprinting when racing, can I get the same locked in feeling with the 105' carbon pedals?

I have Ultegra 6800 and 105 (5700) carbon pedals and a set of 5700 alloy pedals and there is no difference in any of them. The tension is slightly higher in the 6800 pedals (on the easiest setting) compared to the 105 pedals but as I have the tension screwed up to a similar tension level on all my pedals, it doesn't really matter what the starting point is on them. I bought the 6800 pedals purely to match the groupset on the bike but 5800 pedals would have sufficed if price was a factor.
  • I have 105. Let's face it you never see them. If I were buying another set I'd probably get the R550
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JesseD
    Great, thanks all, you have saved me ££££ which I can now put towards other shiny bits for my new bike :)
  • JesseD wrote:
    Great, thanks all, you have saved me ££££ which I can now put towards other shiny bits for my new bike :)

If the next question is are carbon bottle cages worth it, the answer is YES, they look cool and weigh 5g less than composite ones.
  • JesseD
    JesseD wrote:

If the next question is are carbon bottle cages worth it, the answer is YES, they look cool and weigh 5g less than composite ones.

Ha no, I'll stick with my BBB Speedcage's, they seem to do the job so far, however losing an additional 5g seems worth it!!!!!!!!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I feel this is an area where Ultegra becomes redundant, once 105 carbon pedals were released the only choice is 105 or Dura-ace.

This and cassettes.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,140
    I feel this is an area where Ultegra becomes redundant, once 105 carbon pedals were released the only choice is 105 or Dura-ace.

This and cassettes.

True, but Shimano have handicapped 105 cassettes by offering a limited set of ratios. Great for climbing with 11-28 and 11-32s, but for flatlands and TTs I need to go Ultegra to get 11-23 or 25. At least that's only an extra £10-15 though!
  • super_davo wrote:

This and cassettes.

True, but Shimano have handicapped 105 cassettes by offering a limited set of ratios. Great for climbing with 11-28 and 11-32s, but for flatlands and TTs I need to go Ultegra to get 11-23 or 25. At least that's only an extra £10-15 though!

This is way I always buy SRAM cassettes, Force 11-28 for climbing and Force/Red 11-25 for on the flat. Both have the elusive 16t cog.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    super_davo wrote:

This and cassettes.

This is way I always buy SRAM cassettes, Force 11-28 for climbing and Force/Red 11-25 for on the flat. Both have the elusive 16t cog.

The elusive 16T can be gotten around with semi compact chainsets. Ultegra cassettes are not worth the extra over 105 and are no close enough to DA if you wish to have top end kit. Bit of a worst of both worlds bit of kit. Sram do better to fill the gaps as mentioned