A returning giant needs help!

BigBusta
BigBusta Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
Ill try not to bore you all too much but need your insightful opnions and advice.

A little about me..
I used to ride when i was a teen was in to jumping mostly used to run a kona stuff. started to venture in to downhill before life got in the way.
Im now 27. 10 years has passed in that time i took up powerlifting and had a son.

Hes got a bike for Xmas and we are out riding around the woods etc... Then this nostalgic feeling came flooding and I wonded if i could still do it... Took a run up and cleared a beautiful (tiny) 4 set of steps and snapped the crank.

I should add im now 6 foot 8 and 150 kg aka 330lbs...(im not fat as mentioned im a powerlifter)

Is there a bike out there for a giant like me who is a bit above the normal weight.
Or is it time i accepted im just took big to jump.

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I'm no expert but apparently the nukeproof mega is a very sturdy and strong bike. Maybe something like that. Depends on your budget of course. Obviously you're going to want plenty of suspension travel too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What cranks? What bike? If it was a BSO with Chinese cheese cranks you might not have a problem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Links to the nuke proof bike would be fantastic mate!

It was a saracen something or other, Rather awkwardly borrowed from a mate.

I wouldnt be doing anything too crazy on it.
  • cooldad
    Doesn't matter whether the frame is tough, if the bits are breaking. I doubt many wheels etc are designed to be jumped with that much weight on them.

Full on DH bits might take it better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There were some decent Saracens and some are nasty BSO, I'm guessing it was square taper cranks which can snap at the hub whee it goes on the square taper.

Almost any decent quality bike will take your weight, but you do need to spend to get the right quality.

To up the strength you could swap some parts out for DH spec parts which are beefier by design.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The DH rig was one thing i was thinking of. although i only anticipate doing the tame trails i think ill need it for the strength.

I dont really want to spend more then £800 so im assuming second hand is probably a better choice?

Could you guys offer me any advice on brands etc to search for. My knowledge dosnt go much further then Kona and Norco!
  • cooldad
    A DH bike would be terrible for general riding. A decent frame with tough bits makes sense.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Just to add most guarantees for frames, wheels, cranks etc. usually stop at around 120kg riding weight, so be very aware when you are spending your hard earned cash.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At your weight you're going to struggle to find a full suspension bike which will work for you. Most rear shocks will be too soft on max pressure and once they're up that high they don't work well anyway.
    The Nukeproof Mega isn't all that tough. I broke the rear end on mine and I know others have broken in the same place. Plus, at 6' 8" even an XL will be far too small. There aren’t many frames which will be big enough.
    Drop a couple stone and your options really increase.
    Power lifting and mountain biking are really incompatible sports. You will have all the wrong sort of muscle for fast movement and endurance plus you'll be really prone to injury. On the plus side, shoulder muscle is really good for preventing broken collar bones and dislocations.