Advice for new bike

petraz
petraz Posts: 12
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi everybody,
I am currently looking for a new bike to replace my old alumium one and I would like to hear some opinions/advices. My current bike is more 'racy' than 'sportive' geometry and I would like to stick on this as this geomtry does not cause me important uncomfortness, even for distances up to 250-300km. I want the bike to participate in some endurance races in areas not extremelly hilly. I was thinking to spend up to arounds £2500-2700 and would preferably use Shimano gearing (just out of habit as it is the system i am currently use, with ultegra as main groupset unless if I find a good discounted DA) and as material carbon.

Some points that i have not decided totally yet are the following:
1. Is it worth to go for an aero bike over a lightweight race one?
2. Is it worth to try the Di2 over mech? I am not familiar on how easy is the maintenance of Di2 and how easy it can have damange (for example from biking in rain or similar harsh conditions). Is it easy to perform the updates by yourself or you need special equipment? The E-tube project will be something available or you need to have extra parts?
3. Is it worth checking the possibility of carbon handlebars and/or wheels?

Based on these, I was thinking companies such as Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 (Di2), Rosebikes (such as aero xeon CW3000, Xeon team CGF-3000 or 3100, X-Lite CRS-300), Planetx (EX-130C, Viner Mitus) and different discounted bikes such as Scott Solace 10, Fuji Altamira 2.1, Cube Litening C:62, Votec VRC Pro, Giant (Propel Advanced 1 or TCR advanced SL 2).
Any comment on Canyon, Rosebikes and Planet-x?

Thanks a lot guys!

Comments

• Cannondale Evo
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • + 1 for the EVO supersix, racy geometry, carbon, stiff, light and very well put together. I've had my supersix evo Di2 for around a year now, done approx 3000m and its been bomb proof. Di2 has needed no maintenance at all, its as perfect as the day I got it. It's not affected at all by the wet IMO. I got mine brand new for £1500 last spring, cannot rate highly enough but from a personal perspective can only compare to 'test' rides on other similar level brands from mates.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Which do you like the look of most? I won't offer a particular bike cos I'm not the one riding it. You are. majority of bikes are sold on looks over anything else.
  • petraz
    neilkav1 wrote:
    + 1 for the EVO supersix, racy geometry, carbon, stiff, light and very well put together. I've had my supersix evo Di2 for around a year now, done approx 3000m and its been bomb proof. Di2 has needed no maintenance at all, its as perfect as the day I got it. It's not affected at all by the wet IMO. I got mine brand new for £1500 last spring, cannot rate highly enough but from a personal perspective can only compare to 'test' rides on other similar level brands from mates.

Thanks for the suggestions. Where did you manage to find a new supersix evo ultegra Di2 at that price?
    About Di2, is it possible to perform the updates by yourself or you need to go to a bike store?
  • petraz wrote:
    About Di2, is it possible to perform the updates by yourself or you need to go to a bike store?

Yourself, if you have a windows PC.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • petraz
    petraz wrote:

Yourself, if you have a windows PC.

Thanks! do you need to buy anything extra for this, or you have all the necessary connectors when the bikes comes?
  • petraz wrote:
    neilkav1 wrote:
    + 1 for the EVO supersix, racy geometry, carbon, stiff, light and very well put together. I've had my supersix evo Di2 for around a year now, done approx 3000m and its been bomb proof. Di2 has needed no maintenance at all, its as perfect as the day I got it. It's not affected at all by the wet IMO. I got mine brand new for £1500 last spring, cannot rate highly enough but from a personal perspective can only compare to 'test' rides on other similar level brands from mates.

Thanks for the suggestions. Where did you manage to find a new supersix evo ultegra Di2 at that price?

Hi I browsed the net and eBay and found one that a guy from a LBS had as prev years stock and was selling off, I know I got a real bargain but it can be done if you keep your eyes open.