Cyclists riding against the flow of traffic

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2016 in Road general
This year I've noticed a lot more people on cycles riding against the flow of traffic, tucked up near to the kerb. It's quite alarming to see when I'm driving my car. Perhaps it's not unusual in other countries but I don't remember seeing it here before.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,911
    I saw a prime example 4 years ago. Just.
    At night, in the rain, full black outfit including hoodie, no lights, no reflectors, no clue.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, actually nearly hit someone the other night when driving on a one way street in town at night, very dark and damp roads and then the small black shape coming towards me on the RHS became noticeable as a cyclist...without lights, reflectors...just dark clothing and going the wrong way down a street albeit slowly so that was ok!

BTW, I think English was his first language judging by some of the words my wife heard when I swerved away from him at the last minute.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,599
    a lot of tourists on boris bikes do it, as well as people who should know better

but in london plenty of cars do it too, also trucks and coaches, i sometimes wonder if one-way was made optional and i missed the announcement
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Yepp, actually nearly hit someone the other night when driving on a one way street in town at night, very dark and damp roads and then the small black shape coming towards me on the RHS became noticeable as a cyclist...without lights, reflectors...just dark clothing and going the wrong way down a street albeit slowly so that was ok!
    Rob,

If that was Henrietta Street you're referring to, then there is a cycle lane that goes against the flow of traffic.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.90269 ... 312!8i6656
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good shout Mike given the recent changes but it was the top of Winchcombe St, scared the bejessus out of me! I could see the Echo headlines:
    Local cycling club chairman runs over cyclist, "Fecked if I could see him" he is reported to have shouted whilst being led away...

Mind you, I think that excuse does actually work in 99 out of 100 incidents!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I remember seeing a family of 5 go by our house, on the wrong side of the road, and hearing the father tell his kids " Stay on the side facing traffic so you can see what's coming".
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I have never in my life seen a cyclist going against the traffic - perhaps it's a city centre thing where I could imagine it happening?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have they got confused with walking or running on the Road where you are meant to do just that?

Its v scary running against traffic as you see just how close cars follow and what little time they have to notice you.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    cougie wrote:
    Have they got confused with walking or running on the Road where you are meant to do just that?

Its v scary running against traffic as you see just how close cars follow and what little time they have to notice you.

I think these people need reminding that a bike is still classed as a vehicle and must obey the same rules as all traffic unless signposted. You can get traffic fines or points on your license ( whether you hold one on not bizarrely). Its a massive shame that kids don't get the mandatory cycling lessons like they get on the continent. I know Holland and Germany do as I have seen them out on the streets and cycle paths being taught good cycling behaviour.

Only time I have seen this cycling against traffic has been teenagers on tiny bmx's which they are way to big for crawling in the gutter while chatting to mates who are on the pavement. Seem to see that alot somehow.
  • dennisn wrote:
    I remember seeing a family of 5 go by our house, on the wrong side of the road, and hearing the father tell his kids " Stay on the side facing traffic so you can see what's coming".

Makes sense for walking or jogging... But cycling, holy cow! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo