Tour of Qatar cancelled

2»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    iainf72 wrote:

About sums it up:

"Hardcore fans may have enjoyed the echelon formations and salivated at the sight of competing sprint trains but this surely left the casual viewer bored rigid: an hour of TV with nothing save a group of cyclists riding through-and-off against a dusty backdrop, as if an endless animated GIF"
  • I'd watch almost anything, but drew the line at tour of Qatar. Never found it interesting. Sometimes it broke up so there were less people to sprint, and I didn't care either way. .

Either you didn't watch the right stages or you don't know decent racing when it's there :P

It's only interesting if someone cares about the result, surely? Otherwise you are just watching a hard training session.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,588
    I'd watch almost anything, but drew the line at tour of Qatar. Never found it interesting. Sometimes it broke up so there were less people to sprint, and I didn't care either way. .

Either you didn't watch the right stages or you don't know decent racing when it's there :P

It's only interesting if someone cares about the result, surely? Otherwise you are just watching a hard training session.

Only as part of the narrative of the classics season - and then the performances were more interesting than the result.

But the pure echelon action was mega. Some of the purest you'd see. And for me, echelons are some of the most exciting parts of racing. A heady mixture of needing good positoning and the legs. We saw it at the Worlds too.

I wasn't that bummed about the Qatari worlds on the assumption we'd have lots of echelon action. We almost didn't but the jaunt out into the desert did the job.
  • I really enjoyed the mens world champs race.

Tour of Qatar was a bit like the Emirates trophy in football. Preseason friendly trying to pretend it matters.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    iainf72 wrote:
    If we continue that analogy, the TV version of watching a cycling race offers a vastly superior experience to watching it on the road (from a sporting perspective) where as watching music live is always a better experience than watching it on TV.

If the TV coverage is good and the racing is good, lack of people standing on the roadside should have no impact IMO.

Qatar worlds had a lot more exciting racing than Copenhagen, but was Copenhagen better for huge crowds?

I don't follow your logic.
    Whether watching racing/music live or on telly, the experiences are vastly different - the superiority of one over the other is subjective.
    My point is that the sharing of the experience is an important component of the whole thing - check out the buzz of the live spoiler threads on these pages when a big race is on: people wanting to share the experience as it happens.
  • Even I had no desire to go and watch Tour of Qatar

And given my race following jaunts, that's says it all. You couldn't pay me to go to Qatar
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I don't follow your logic.
    Whether watching racing/music live or on telly, the experiences are vastly different - the superiority of one over the other is subjective.
    My point is that the sharing of the experience is an important component of the whole thing - check out the buzz of the live spoiler threads on these pages when a big race is on: people wanting to share the experience as it happens.

They want to share the experience of what they see on TV, as that gives them the whole picture. If you're watching it on the road, it's a good spectacle but it's nearly worthless from a sporting perspective (some exceptions, but broadly true)

Clearly it's something people enjoy, and I've got no problem with that. But I think this obsession with spectators is a bit odd, that's all. And the dramatically overestimating crowd sizes is another thing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Even I had no desire to go and watch Tour of Qatar

And given my race following jaunts, that's says it all. You couldn't pay me to go to Qatar

:lol:

If you can't get a decent glass of wine, there is little point, right?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,588
    https://youtu.be/m_5Q8sQumrc

One of the better Qatar stages.

I really enjoyed this one.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    iainf72 wrote:

Seems to me that the idea of a region hosting a race is to showcase that region.
    With neither atmosphere nor scenery there's nothing really to showcase.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72 wrote:

QUADRUPLE reason not to go :-)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I thought the camel racing using young slave boys was more interesting and with better crashes
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    https://youtu.be/m_5Q8sQumrc

One of the better Qatar stages.

I really enjoyed this one.
    Cracking link. Thanks!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023