Replacing a buckled wheel

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited December 2016 in MTB general
Hi
I bought a Saracen Mantra Pro a few weeks ago and apart from a few minor starting issues it's been a great bike that seems to adapt to any trail it goes down. Anyway after feeling some drag from the back wheel i looked at it and realised the wheel (rear) was bent and didn't spin well at all. So i took the wheel of the bike today and got the tire off and the wheel had buckled. I'm guessing that this happened from some hard landings on some minor drops no more than a foot and a half, the wheel should be able to take it. I'm not too heavy myself, around 80kg on a large bike so not like i'm an issue regarding weight. So is there any other way the wheel could've done this and can i avoid this in future.

So i'll be needing some advice on a new wheel to get as i can't spend loads i'm happy to prioritise strength over weight. With a budget of £75 not much room to go over i'll need something strong if possible. Also is it possible to change a rear wheel with the cassette being changed at home or does it require a special tool that a shop will have to fit. Has anyone got any suggestions on what wheel to get?

Its a 27.5 wheel and i run tubes with Continental mountain kings 2.2 if that helps at all.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless it's totally pretzelled it should be easy enough to straighten. £10 at your LBS if you don't want to try.

To remove a cassette, you need a cassette tool, also about a tenner.

Read Parktools for how to do everything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    To remove a cassette, you need a cassette tool, also about a tenner.
    And a chainwhip!

Unless the tyre is hitting the frame a buckle shouldn't make a wheel hard to turn, maybe it's more than that like a bent axle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And a chainwhip.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools