Do You Learn to Like Clipless?

2»

Comments

• Yes to update I am liking it but I'm pretty sure clipless will never let me get my foot down in an emergency fast enough. I was going up a slope in the road and a cat came out from under a car. I clipped out immediately with force but even that was too slow and I semi fell.

Taking on slow and steep corners frightens me because of this.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    WuMyster wrote:
    Yes to update I am liking it but I'm pretty sure clipless will never let me get my foot down in an emergency fast enough. I was going up a slope in the road and a cat came out from under a car. I clipped out immediately with force but even that was too slow and I semi fell.

I was also nervous on steep inclines as I found it hard to unclip if I wanted to stop. But with SPDs (not SPD-SLs) and MTB type shoes it allows me to pedal with only one foot clipped-in if I want to, with the other foot just pressing down on the pedal but unclipped. I can do that any time I anticipate that I will need to put my foot down quickly.
  • WuMyster wrote:
    Yes to update I am liking it but I'm pretty sure clipless will never let me get my foot down in an emergency fast enough. I was going up a slope in the road and a cat came out from under a car. I clipped out immediately with force but even that was too slow and I semi fell.

I was also nervous on steep inclines as I found it hard to unclip if I wanted to stop. But with SPDs (not SPD-SLs) and MTB type shoes it allows me to pedal with only one foot clipped-in if I want to, with the other foot just pressing down on the pedal but unclipped. I can do that any time I anticipate that I will need to put my foot down quickly.

That's what I'm currently doing as well on SPD-SLs (damaging by sole slightly) but this only works when anticipating you may fall.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    WuMyster wrote:

No, no-one ever learned to like them.

The pro's hate them.

All the amateurs like us curse them every ride.

Sigh... and this thread ran to two pages?
  • Secteur wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

The pro's hate them.

Sigh... a newbie getting into your sport, asking a simple question and getting a sarcastic comment in return. Thanks to those who have been helpful though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    To be honest it's a bit like saying " Do you learn to like drop bars" :roll:
  • Webboo wrote:
    To be honest it's a bit like saying " Do you learn to like drop bars" :roll:

Maybe I'm moronic but I've asked that to cycling friends before. And if you want the answer to that, yes I learnt to like drop bars after about a week after spending my whole life using flat bars on MTBs.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Secteur wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

The pro's hate them.

Total bollocks.

When I first rode a proper bike to release your foot from the pedal you had to reach down to your foot and slacken a toe strap. I did not have a problem with that, you just did it,without any thought. After a few hundred miles of clipless pedals again I just did it. I dont want to be a smart arse but I advise that you do not think too much ,just do it.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    WuMyster wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

That's what I'm currently doing as well on SPD-SLs (damaging by sole slightly) but this only works when anticipating you may fall.
    I would have thought with SPD-SLs and road shoes you foot would probably slip off the pedal if you try that.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Maybe try a 5-10 and a flat pedal on one side for a few days, and an SPD-SL on the other, then switch it around.
    I still think it takes maybe 6 months to a year to be able to un-clip as super fast as taking your foot off a flat pedal.
  • ZMC888 wrote:
    Maybe try a 5-10 and a flat pedal on one side for a few days, and an SPD-SL on the other, then switch it around.
    I still think it takes maybe 6 months to a year to be able to un-clip as super fast as taking your foot off a flat pedal.

Oh that's interesting. Thought that wouldn't be possible. Will keep at it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    WuMyster wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:

Oh that's interesting. Thought that wouldn't be possible. Will keep at it.
    Just make sure you have arrange to have your hips replaced before attempting this and make sure you don't get your bike wet.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    WuMyster wrote:
    So I recently got into road riding. Rode MTBs all my life (with flat pedals). I moved to a road bike and at the end of the first day I loved the drop bars.

About a month after, I pick up some SPD-SLs (today). I did about 20 miles and I wouldn't say I hate them, but I dislike them. I've got the cleats in the best position I can and will continue to play around with it but something doesn't feel right. Clipping in isn't that hard, will definitely get better. Had a fall which doesn't deter me at all, car slammed it's brakes at an intersection as I was turning; I broke on time but no way was I ready to get my feet out.

Have people been in the same boat as me but eventually grew to love clipless and wouldn't change back to flats?

Same as you. 6 years ago switched MTB to road and did SPD SLs for about half a year as recommended by colleagues. Then tried them again for another half year after half year break going back to SPDs.

Again never felt safe or comfortable. Twice I thought I clipped in and slammed on the pedal and wham when down to the top tube and boy it hurts.

One day I discovered Speed play. Love it from day one and I've been preaching them ever since. It makes SPD SLs totally stupid option and I wish I was told this earlier so I wouldn't have invested so much money on those SPD SLs.

Forgot to add. You might get use to the SPD SLs but you will never clip in faster than we can clip in on Speedplay. At lights I always laugh inside at the ones with SPD SL. Speed play I can clip in both side. Totally secure and amazing amount of float or no float is up to your choice. Perfect system. Well almost. to make it perfect you need Keep on Kovers Z.3 stick them down with some no more nail tape.

Don't bother with their new aero rubber cover cleats because they are useless.
  • If they are new or properly maintained an SL is weighted in such a way that at a stop when un clipped it will rotated into a nice "entry" position. A double sided MTB pedal is not weighted this way and will wind up in a random position.

I now find them easier than the MTB cleats I wore on my road bike for almost a year.

I never unclip both, only one side depending on if the road tilts at the stop. That way I can push off strong with one and get into the other.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I've just started riding with SPD's, and am now experiencing calf pains. I know I need to fiddle with the positioning and stretch out my calves to get past this, but the physical act of clipping in & out hasn't (yet) caused an issue. I'm quite lucky though that i'm in the sticks so don't have too many lights/junctions to deal with.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    hsiaolc wrote:
    ....One day I discovered Speed play. Love it from day one and I've been preaching them ever since. It makes SPD SLs totally stupid option and I wish I was told this earlier so I wouldn't have invested so much money on those SPD SLs.

Forgot to add. You might get use to the SPD SLs but you will never clip in faster than we can clip in on Speedplay. At lights I always laugh inside at the ones with SPD SL. Speed play I can clip in both side. Totally secure and amazing amount of float or no float is up to your choice. Perfect system. Well almost. to make it perfect you need Keep on Kovers Z.3 stick them down with some no more nail tape.

Couldn't bring myself to spend money with a company owned by this guy.....

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... fbbeb3b289

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 38641.html
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • hsiaolc
    Svetty wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    ....One day I discovered Speed play. Love it from day one and I've been preaching them ever since. It makes SPD SLs totally stupid option and I wish I was told this earlier so I wouldn't have invested so much money on those SPD SLs.

Couldn't bring myself to spend money with a company owned by this guy.....

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... fbbeb3b289

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 38641.html

He wants to protect his product? Looks normal to me. People complain all the time and just about anything.

Do you see a lot of sellers selling SPD SL clips from other makes other than Shimano? If not then why would the owner of speedplay want others to sell parts for his pedals which he sells as well and maybe has copyright infringement or did not get his permission to make to sell?

And to be frank with you I care about my balls than some people have problems with trying to sell knock off items and complain about the owner.

People voted for Trump and he lies constantly and I don't see half of USA people having any problems. Just get on with it.
  • hsiaolc
    Tashman wrote:
    I've just started riding with SPD's, and am now experiencing calf pains. I know I need to fiddle with the positioning and stretch out my calves to get past this, but the physical act of clipping in & out hasn't (yet) caused an issue. I'm quite lucky though that i'm in the sticks so don't have too many lights/junctions to deal with.

I think probably you have saddle height issues that's why you are getting your calf pains.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

I think probably you have saddle height issues that's why you are getting your calf pains.
    possibly but i have tight caves in general. When i'm striding along on my walk to work i experience similar pain. I just need to get them used to it
  • I went from toeclips to clipless and found them liberating, they were much easier to use, less faff.