Can anyone recommend a phone mount?

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at using my phone for a while as a gps instead of a garmin device. Could anyone recommend a case & mount?

Thanks
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Unless you are only doing short rides (battery life) and have an old phone I would recommend against it. Breaking a Garmin in a small off is not the end of the world. Smashing your nice new smartphone to bits might spoil your day a touch more.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • My phone cost me peanuts so it's been the least of my concerns when I've had an off. If I had a pricier one and still wanted to use it as a GPS I'd be looking at the Wahoo RFLKT through the Wahoo website (£25 plus shipping, although someone said it's free delivery over £30 orders.)

That having been said:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cyclin ... e+Mountain

Has served me well for awhile now. It's not waterproof though - it is just a mount, not a case.
  • I've recently had an upgrade so I thought the old iPhone could go on the bike for a while. Liking the look of that Wahoo, thanks. Now do you guys know of any apps that will direct me, like a sat nav? I'll hold my hands up, I'm naff at tech. I've had a quick look at strava but from what I can tell, it maps where you have been and all the data, but doesn't tell you where to go?

Thanks
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I'm looking at using my phone for a while as a gps instead of a garmin device. Could anyone recommend a case & mount?

Thanks

Perfect choice. I have switched to dedicated phone as my cycle computer and it is a god send.

Been wanting to get away from Garmin since 800 and now I have and took the plunge I can't be happier.

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

https://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/

I use them as my phone mount and its brilliant. I have their phone mount and mount around the house and the whole family uses it.

I use my Samsung galaxy s7 edge as my computer. Perfect. Fast and beautiful. Waterproof as well so no need to go with those hideous phone covers.

Gramin 1000 is 320 I think a I will hurt just as much.

Anyway no one is supposed to expect to crash. Then might as well not buy anything nice to ride either since its too expensive. My Rapha jacket is £250 maybe I should just wear some cheap crap too because I might crash and damage my jacket? I find that kind of reasoning so stupid.

Anyway good luck with your new endeavour.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect choice. I have switched to dedicated phone as my cycle computer and it is a god send.

Been wanting to get away from Garmin since 800 and now I have and took the plunge I can't be happier.

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

I use them as my phone mount and its brilliant. I have their phone mount and mount around the house and the whole family uses it.

I use my Samsung galaxy s7 edge as my computer. Perfect. Fast and beautiful. Waterproof as well so no need to go with those hideous phone covers.

Anyway no one is supposed to expect to crash. Then might as well not buy anything nice to ride either since its too expensive. My Rapha jacket is £250 maybe I should just wear some cheap crap too because I might crash and damage my jacket? I find that kind of reasoning so stupid.

A dedicated cycle computer is designed to withstand impacts to a certain degree, a mobile phone isn't. I've ridden with people using smart phones as their cycle computer and all of them have had the phone come off the mount on bumps I didn't even notice. One wrecked his £500 phone. Anyone riding more than an hour or two will drain the phone battery and the lack of connectivity to sensors further negates any practical advantage (if there ever were one). A phone is for phone calls. What a great end to the day to have an accident or ride ending mechanical only to find you've no phone signal to summon assistance because you've drained the battery on your phone.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

A dedicated cycle computer is designed to withstand impacts to a certain degree, a mobile phone isn't. I've ridden with people using smart phones as their cycle computer and all of them have had the phone come off the mount on bumps I didn't even notice. One wrecked his £500 phone. Anyone riding more than an hour or two will drain the phone battery and the lack of connectivity to sensors further negates any practical advantage (if there ever were one). A phone is for phone calls. What a great end to the day to have an accident or ride ending mechanical only to find you've no phone signal to summon assistance because you've drained the battery on your phone.

I think you misunderstand slightly. I have a phone that could quite happily sit in a saddle bag or jersey pocket, and I have a phone that I was looking to mount as a cycle computer. Unless I can make calls from a Garmin, I am forced to carry a phone to make calls on anyway, in case of emergency. I was asking for a mount & app for navigation as I basically, have a spare unit. I could sell the unit and buy a cheaper used Garmin, however I'm not sure a cheaper used Garmin would be as good as an iphone with the right mount & apps + accessories.
  • bbrap
    hsiaolc wrote:

That was not the reasoning behind my original answer. No-one expects to crash, but if you do and its bad enough to require assistance then a working phone is the usual means of getting it (particularly for lone riders). Nailing your phone in one of the most vulnerable places on the bike is likely to render it somewhat damaged, possibly negating the ability to call for help. As the OP has added that his phone would be a spare unit this would not be relevant in his case.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

I think you misunderstand slightly. I have a phone that could quite happily sit in a saddle bag or jersey pocket, and I have a phone that I was looking to mount as a cycle computer. Unless I can make calls from a Garmin, I am forced to carry a phone to make calls on anyway, in case of emergency. I was asking for a mount & app for navigation as I basically, have a spare unit. I could sell the unit and buy a cheaper used Garmin, however I'm not sure a cheaper used Garmin would be as good as an iphone with the right mount & apps + accessories.

My response is to the one I quoted where the poster is under the misguided apprehension that a phone is as good as, or even better, than a dedicated cycle computer.
  • But I dont understand why it can't be? I understand the view of some when it comes to potentially smashing my new smartphone to bits in the event of an off, however like I said, its and old phone I would be using so I'm not that concerned. I would be more concerned about nailing a new Garmin.

All the necessary accessories to make it usable are readily available, HR straps, apps, and mounts, I've already decided using a phone is the best option for me for the time being, I was just asking for any recommendations on a mount.

Thanks for the advice though.
  • I have been using a Topeak DryBag for my iPhone 5 for the last year (they do versions for other phones). The main advantage over other cases is you can fit a phone with a case inside it. I use Topeak's (free) app to record my rides and google maps or Navigon for navigation if going somewhere new.

I can do a 3 hour ride without the battery running out, but also have a small USB battery I attach to my handle bars if going for a longer ride.
  • StillGoing
    But I dont understand why it can't be? I understand the view of some when it comes to potentially smashing my new smartphone to bits in the event of an off, however like I said, its and old phone I would be using so I'm not that concerned. I would be more concerned about nailing a new Garmin.

All the necessary accessories to make it usable are readily available, HR straps, apps, and mounts, I've already decided using a phone is the best option for me for the time being, I was just asking for any recommendations on a mount.

Thanks for the advice though.

Does your phone do ANT+ connection to sensors? No although it may do Bluetooth to a Bluetooth HR monitor. Does it have the battery life of a dedicated cycle computer? No. Is it able to withstand an impact as well as a dedicated cycle computer? No. Does it look pants stuck out on the front of the bike? Yes. Does it have the GPS capability of a dedicated cycle computer? No.

You may be using an old phone, but the point being made was that a phone is as good as a dedicated cycle computer. It simply isn't. That you can afford to have your old phone smash in the event of an off (while a Garmin would in all likelihood merely scratch) doesn't take away that a phone is not the answer to a Garmin.
  • hsiaolc
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

Seriously you hare plugging data from your ass? I ride with my phone so I know. I've not crashed so I can't comment on that point but I known damn well that if I am overly concerned about being damaged I can alreays get those thick armour for the phone and mount it. Once in those super armour phone protectors then nothing can damage it.

I don't believe my garmin 800 is crash resistant. It doesn't say that anywhere in their features.

I go over alot of bumps and never had my phone been lost.

My commute is 1 hour and the battery drain is exactly 10% or less so not sure about your claim.

Again you are talking rubbish without knowing anything and I am surprised you post it as well. I have my phone connected to both my garmin speed and cadence sensor. Also garmin Temperature sensor and also Whaoo HR sensor.

IPBIKE can also hook up to power sensors.

IF you dont' know anything please don't post misleading information.
  • hsiaolc
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

My response is to the one I quoted where the poster is under the misguided apprehension that a phone is as good as, or even better, than a dedicated cycle computer.

You are misguided by your own assumptions. So sad.
  • StillGoing
    hsiaolc wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

Seriously you hare plugging data from your ass? I ride with my phone so I know. I've not crashed so I can't comment on that point but I known damn well that if I am overly concerned about being damaged I can alreays get those thick armour for the phone and mount it. Once in those super armour phone protectors then nothing can damage it.

I don't believe my garmin 800 is crash resistant. It doesn't say that anywhere in their features.

My commute is 1 hour and the battery drain is exactly 10% or less so not sure about your claim.

Again you are talking rubbish without knowing anything and I am surprised you post it as well. I have my phone connected to both my garmin speed and cadence sensor. Also garmin Temperature sensor and also Whaoo HR sensor.

You are one deluded individual. A one hour commute? Whoopy frigging do. Ain't you the endurance master. A mobile telephone is not an alternative to a dedicated bike computer when compared capability wise. I've crashed through a hawthorn hedge at speed with my 810 being flung through the air and landing the other side. Damage? A slight burr on the edge, but working perfectly. A mobile phone in that crash would have been scratched and smashed to pieces. I don't know what continent you are from or whether you're just illiterate, but you are only fooling yourself with your ramblings.
  • hsiaolc
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

Thanks

Perfect.

I use IPBIKE try that.

You are one deluded individual. A one hour commute? Whoopy frigging do. Ain't you the endurance master. A mobile telephone is not an alternative to a dedicated bike computer when compared capability wise. I've crashed through a hawthorn hedge at speed with my 810 being flung through the air and landing the other side. Damage? A slight burr on the edge, but working perfectly. A mobile phone in that crash would have been scratched and smashed to pieces. I don't know what continent you are from or whether you're just illiterate, but you are only fooling yourself with your ramblings.
    Wake up
    One hour commute one way thats 2 hour each way. How much do you do? I never claim I am master anything. I just point out 10% drain for one hour hence I can do 10 hour to drain my phone completely. I doubt anyone is riding 10 hour. Even your garmin can't last that long. But did you get the point? No of course you can't.

I would love to offer you either the blue or the red pill but you are too much a lost cause for me to offer you anything. Stick with your own life but dont' ruin others by giving false or ignorant ignorant information.

https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/iphone- ... iph15.html

Never seen one of those rugged phone cases before? Again so sad. OP if you want to listen to this biggot then feel free but I won't waste my energy on him anymore.
  • Wow, I can't help but feel things got a little out of hand. Never mind. I think I have found a solution to my problem Quad lock looks like its the way to go for me. Thanks for the input guys/gals.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Wake up
    One hour commute one way thats 2 hour each way. How much do you do? I never claim I am master anything. I just point out 10% drain for one hour hence I can do 10 hour to drain my phone completely. I doubt anyone is riding 10 hour. Even your garmin can't last that long. But did you get the point? No of course you can't.

I don't really have a religious zeal for or against using a phone, but I would add ;
    - don't assume battery drain is linear, that's pretty naive and you'll have a nasty surprise.
    - many of us regularly do long rides, I break 10 years 8-10 times a year and my usual Sunday training jaunt is 5-6 hours. A phone isn't going to cover that without bringing a plethora of cables and batteries
    - a phone doesn't have the sensor coverage that a cycle computer does, my power meters are ant+, as are most people's
    - for most of us our phones represent the single method of being tracked or communicating whilst we are out cycling on the roads, personally I like mine to have as much charge as possible and be tucked in a nice safe back pocket

In my view you might be fine commuting or as a 1-2 hour jaunt hobbyist, but cycling relatively seriously still demands dedicated kit.
  • bbrap
    Stueys wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Wake up

I don't really have a religious zeal for or against using a phone, but I would add ;
    - don't assume battery drain is linear, that's pretty naive and you'll have a nasty surprise.
    - many of us regularly do long rides, I break 10 years 8-10 times a year and my usual Sunday training jaunt is 5-6 hours. A phone isn't going to cover that without bringing a plethora of cables and batteries
    - a phone doesn't have the sensor coverage that a cycle computer does, my power meters are ant+, as are most people's
    - for most of us our phones represent the single method of being tracked or communicating whilst we are out cycling on the roads, personally I like mine to have as much charge as possible and be tucked in a nice safe back pocket

In my view you might be fine commuting or as a 1-2 hour jaunt hobbyist, but cycling relatively seriously still demands dedicated kit.

Very well put. However I can't help thinking we are all flogging a dead horse trying to convince people of the merits of dedicated kit.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • Quadlock mounts are great, I use both the standard and out front. They are expensive but I've found them to be the most secure option. If Quadlock doesn't make a case for your phone find a suitable case and use their universal mount, it uses the same adhesive tape as GoPros and I've found it to be solid. Alternatively you can stick the universal mount directly to your phone.

I use IpBike app on a Sony Z3 Compact, linked to a 4iiii power meter and HR strap.

The Sony Z1, Z3 or Z5 compacts are a great option as they are ant+ enabled and waterproof. They are small enough and in my opinion no more aesthetically obtrusive than a Garmin 1000. A Z3 compact can be had for £100 from Ebay and makes it a much cheaper alternative to a Garmin. I agree that they are not as rugged as a Garmin but for £100 you could smash two and it would still be cheaper than a Garmin 1000.

As for battery life mine has lasted 10 hour rides in the Alps and Everesting.

One final question, how many times do you see 'Garmin fail' or 'dodgy Garmin' on Strava? Loads.
  • StillGoing
    Willow 15 wrote:

One final question, how many times do you see 'Garmin fail' or 'dodgy Garmin' on Strava? Loads.

Quantify that against how many Garmin units are sold and how many mobile phones are used as make do devices. I have had Apple, Samsung, Windows, Panasonic, Nokia etc phones and they have all developed faults eventually. People complain about everything that is manufactured. Faults happen with everything. Garmin's problem is continually selling things as beta devices awaiting customer feedback/complaints to adapt the firmware to the customer needs. A lot of the Strava "failures" can be put down to user error too.
  • hsiaolc
    Willow 15 wrote:
    Quadlock mounts are great, I use both the standard and out front. They are expensive but I've found them to be the most secure option. If Quadlock doesn't make a case for your phone find a suitable case and use their universal mount, it uses the same adhesive tape as GoPros and I've found it to be solid. Alternatively you can stick the universal mount directly to your phone.

I use IpBike app on a Sony Z3 Compact, linked to a 4iiii power meter and HR strap.

The Sony Z1, Z3 or Z5 compacts are a great option as they are ant+ enabled and waterproof. They are small enough and in my opinion no more aesthetically obtrusive than a Garmin 1000. A Z3 compact can be had for £100 from Ebay and makes it a much cheaper alternative to a Garmin. I agree that they are not as rugged as a Garmin but for £100 you could smash two and it would still be cheaper than a Garmin 1000.

As for battery life mine has lasted 10 hour rides in the Alps and Everesting.

NO point arguing with these people. Even when we users have prove they dont' have problem with battery they still go on about it.

10 hours is more than garmins 5 hours.

Then they talk about phone not having ant +. I am really not sure what age they are in but I find it disturbing they keep on throwing incorrect facts around and trying to educate the poor newbies when most phone now has ant +.

You are correct about the Sony Zs the Z3 is especially great option as they are cheap and has all the bell and whistles.

Let them go buy garmin and spend their money and thinking it is the best money can buy. Not my money.

Then they say all kinds of things to justify their argument failings. I buy two new phones every year and for 10 years now not one phone has failed. They get passed down to my parents and now my son. But again they say anything.

One talk about problem with Strava? Did we mention strava? We mentioned IPBike and has nothing to do with Strava.

But they also not taking into account that we've also had garmins and this is first hand experience but guess what? Not bothering with them. Why even want to help them out?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Top rant. Would definitely try to read again. 6/10
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Incoherent rant stage, I'll exit. Happy new year all
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stueys wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Wake up

What's a jaunt hobbyist out of interest? Haven't heard that one before.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    1st Jan 2017 and we've already had the hand bags out.

I suppose i'll have to go for that bulk order of popcorn. Can anyone recommend a good popcorn app?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    Pinno wrote:

I suppose i'll have to go for that bulk order of popcorn. Can anyone recommend a good popcorn app?

you really don't get it do you! the whole point is that using an app is no good due to limited battery life, it's either a dedicated popcorn tub or nothing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    sungod wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

you really don't get it do you! the whole point is that using an app is no good due to limited battery life, it's either a dedicated popcorn tub or nothing

That's bullshit. I superglued my Samsipadgarm62 to my handlebars and I have a 24v battery pack I carry in my bottle cage that only weighs 3kg and is wrapped in a titanium hardcase with a fully insulated 75 strand rat tail power feed via a connector that I TiG welded on to the back of it. It never moves nor does the steering but it's okay, I just lean to corner.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I went out today - Nokia 6310 in back pocket, rode on RPE.... got back 25 mins later than predicted due to enjoying myself in the New Year sun.

The bliss of uncomplicated cycling is refreshing - some of u guys should try it
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Rollemynot wrote:
    I went out today - Nokia 6310 in back pocket, rode on RPE.... got back 25 mins later than predicted due to enjoying myself in the New Year sun.

The bliss of uncomplicated cycling is refreshing - some of u guys should try it

This times a squillion..

When I was Cat 1 racing I never used any technology junk - didn't really hurt me.

Pane e agua mes amis .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited January 2017
    Stueys wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Wake up

What's a jaunt hobbyist out of interest? Haven't heard that one before.

Well a hobbyist must mean amateur. Clearly Stuey must be a pro cyclist as he does not consider himself a hobbyist.

What team do you cycle for Stuey?