Budget end wheelset upgrade options/advice?

Jamiek695
Jamiek695 Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys, I have an Orbea Avant M60SE. Which is my commuter (Weather permitting) and occasional weekend rider. I ride maybe 4-5 times a week. Averaging around 60-100 miles a week give or take. And the occasional longer rides, the bike came with some Shimano RS500's which are going well. I have some spare money from christmas left over and i'm looking at maybe upgrading my wheelset. Budget is very limited around £200 (Please dont say its not enough). I was wondering what the best options are out there, I looked at the Vision Team 30's but heard mixed on them. (But I do love the look of them), so was just after some advice on any other wheelsets in that rough budget.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I was put onto Superstar components at the beginning of this year and picked up a set of Elite 30 rims with icon ultra hubs and picked them up for £100 due to the colour and they are only 1556g.

What i did notice with the pricing was various offers came up shortly after i'd bought them which made them £10 and then £20 cheaper, but they were clearance wheels and would have been taking a chance on any being left.

Honestly can't fault them but have only done about 1200 miles on them and they were my 1st set of upgraded wheels so have nothing to compare them to. Only other advise is not to look at the pictures, read the description as some picures only show the hubs but they listing is for the wheelset (and vice versa.)
  • What tyres and tubes do you have. Quality tyres and latex tubes will make much more of a difference. You could always upgrade to the R501 wheels with aero spokes, buy better performing tyres and tubes - and still have change from your £200.
  • Jamiek695
    Jamiek695 Posts: 8
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the responses guys some good food for thought already! Tyres wise as I mainly commute, I'm running GP 4 Seasons and conti tubes. As I wanted some tyres that have a fair amount of puncture protection, as I cycle down quite a few back roads as well as busy roads. So the less time on the side with a puncture the better. Haha
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    TBH, I wouldn't count the 4000sII in the 'improved protection' or 'durable commuter' bracket but if they work for you then great. They are pretty much race-level clinchers: zippy, light but can cut up a bit and a tad expensive.

Wheels? Well, you would be best off just keeping the money in your pocket at this time of year. For the next 2 months many of the roads will be salted/gritty and/or damp...providing the perfect conditions and a grinding paste to wear out wheels and it is difficult to feel any benefit of decent wheels when riding in crap weather so what is the point in sticking nicer hoops on apart from just to burn money?

When Spring finally arrives, look to get something like Fulcrum 5 LG or Quattro LG. You won't suddenly fly down (or up) the road but they both look/feel nice...and the extra internal width when matched with 25s will be lovely for longer rides (good for comfort and great handling).

If you want a step change in feel/weight then save some more money and get something like Zonda C17...the extra 2-3 months of saving from now should help to lessen the blow.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Got to agree with Bobbinogs - wait until the worst of the weather is over.

I was looking at some wheel upgrades later. Amongst those I considered were...
    Campag Scirocco 35
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-whe ... 64801.html
    Fulcrum Racing 5 LG
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... -wheelset/
    Fulcrum Racing Quattro
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... 60706509uk
    Miche Syntium AXY
    http://www.dennecyvelo.co.uk/parts/1335 ... Gwodj60I3w
    I did also consider the Zonda C17's which, at the time, were listed as £270. Checking Wiggle now I find that they are now just £399.99 instead of their rrp of £439.99 !!! Go figure!

I've eventually decided to go a bit extra and get some Hunt Aero's which seem to have good reviews.
    PS those listed above I have no experience of, so can't comment on how good they are - they were just in my 'considered' list.
  • A big thanks for all the responses guys, I think your both right and waiting a month or 2 is probably not a bad idea. I have a tendency to rush into things but that sounds the smart move. And some nice options there, also I have Grand Prix 4 Season tyres not the 400's my bad. Got them mixed up!