Kickr workouts without subscribing

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
My wife has a Kickr trainer that she uses with Trainer Road. Worth it for her as she does a couple of sessions a week all year round and often a weekend session in the winter if the weather is crappy.

Me, I tend to only use it when I can't get out as I find the turbo a bit dull. I was hoping the Wahoo app would have some workouts but disappointingly it doesn't.

Is there an app out there with a set of workouts (nothing too fancy needed) that can control the Kickr? I like what Trainer Road has to offer but I'd only want it every now and then (once or twice a week some weeks, nothing others) so a subscription model and structured training plans is way over the top. I know it's only a tenner a month and I'm sure I can ignore the 'structure' but wondered if there was anything else.

Comments

• Not that I'm aware of, I guess having the software control the trainer is part of what you are paying for.

There are workouts on YouTube you can do for free, but you won't get the erg mode, which IMO isn't the end of the world.
  • Cant you just log on as her.... ? Do a workout..see the results..then delete it so it doesn't make her look like a world champion!!
  • grenw
    Take the point on paying for the workouts - I thought maybe that a £1k turbo may have come with some thrown in. The app is fairly basic

I probably could sign on as the missus although I think the results wouldn't neccessarily scare anyone.

Anyway..... Took the plunge with TR yesterday and joined for a month - it should be worth it for me in the depths of Winter. Fun times with the FTP test!
  • Do you have a Garmin 520,820 or 1000 ? The kickr supports ANT F-EC, so you can program the workout into Garmin Connect, upload to Garmin and run it via workout ... I cancelled my Trainer Road for a bit and did this, worked ok ... but I realized how much I liked trainer road and just take the hit now
  • grenw
    Nope 510 and 810 only
  • PerfPro. One off subscription and can run on 3 machines. I used to pay for TR and also used Zwift, but working a 2 on 2 off roster just meant it wasn't worth the cost.