British Cycling

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited December 2016 in MTB general
Despite making a very half arsed effort at Olympic mountain biking and BMX. British Cycling have decided they need to cut back on these insignificant sports to concentrate on their God like road and track teams.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... ogrammes-0

There's why I'll never pay for BC membership or a race licence again.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's not quite what it says.

"As part of UK Sport’s funding strategy for Tokyo 2020, British Cycling has been informed that the decision has been made to make a targeted and reduced investment in our cross-country mountain bike and BMX programmes.

Consequently from April 2017, UK Sport will no longer fund the women’s BMX and men’s cross-country mountain bike elements of the world class programme.

The world class programme, with the broader British Cycling organisation, are working through the impact and ramifications of this decision by UK Sport and are seeking alternative sources of funding to keep these two programme elements functioning to the highest possible standard under the circumstances.

It is British Cycling’s belief that we have a group of talented riders in both the disciplines and we will do everything possible to help them achieve their potential.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... VsDVsCy.99
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    They've been cutting back mountain bike and BMX support for years. This is just the excuse they've been looking for to end their (extremely limited) support of both.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Time to shave those legs and buy some tight lycra then?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Erm, what's this got to do with BC? It's UK Sports decision, that's a separate body that divides the funding to all olympic sports.

BC didn't say "screw BMX and XC"

UK Sport are looking at it from a medal tally perspective, where do we get most bang for buck to ensure a greater medal total than the last olympics.

You'll have noticed a lot of team based sports have had their funding cut/removed because a single team only wins a medal, individual events with lots of different variants within the event racks up loads of medals i.e. track cycling.
  • rockmonkeysc
    BC will take any excuse to cut back on mountain biking and BMX. They've sent roadies to compete in xc Olympic and WC races in the past rather than send mountain bikers.
    How do they ever expect to get medals if they don't invest?
    I guess BC won't be cutting race licence fees for mountain bike or BMX racers although they're cutting investment in the sports.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    What are you rambling on about.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mountain bike racers will now receive far less support from BC for their sport but will still have to pay the same for a race licence as a road racer. Is that reasonable?

The last few races I did, we didn't even get any BC points because BC failed to send a commisaire. We still had to pay the same as if the commisaire had turned up. This is getting more common every year.
    The only reason to have a race licence is to earn points to qualify for national level races.