Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith Haute Route

nellie72
nellie72 Posts: 49
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Anyone have any experience of, or opinion on these wheels which I am considering treating myself to....

https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/ksyrium-pro-exalith-haute-route-rr0904.html

TIA.
Canyon Endurace CF SL 9.0 Ultegra di2
Reilly Gradient GRX600
Dawes Super Galaxy

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Seem like an awful lot of money for a set of wheels that are about 100 grammes lighter than a pair of Zondas costing less than half the price.
  • I've had several pairs of mavic wheels over the past few years and really rate them. Yes they are quite expensive but they are good.
    I'm currently running a pair of 2008 Aksiums (owned from new) on my winter bike and a pair of 2016 R-SYS SLR on my summer bike.
    You might want to look for a used pair to save some money.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • I've been looking for new wheels too and have spotted these on sale. However they do seem expensive for the weight. I know the quality will be good but why not buy the R-SYS wheel set which is a good bit lighter. Not sure how strong they are though.

I'm looking for a set to replace the Mavic Ksyriums that came on my new summer bike. It does seem crazy though to pay a lot of money to save 1 or 200 grams for training wheels.
  • Good wheels. Light, great braking and wider 17mm internal width. The more expensive (and lighter) SLR are still 15 I believe.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Unless someone is snapping these wheels up for a bargain price, I am struggling to understand how anyone can be daft enough to spend the best part of a grand on 24/26mm alloy rim wheels that weigh ~1500g. As stated above, the C17 Zondas can now be had for less than £350 and only weigh ~100g more. For £500 (still half the price of the Mavics) one could get some custom handbuilts that weighed in the same ballpark and they could be easily rebuilt every year if one picks the right hubs and cares for them.

Then again, when one of the 'plus' points for these wheels is "Special "Haute Route" graphics"...
  • Bobbinogs wrote:

Then again, when one of the 'plus' points for these wheels is "Special "Haute Route" graphics"...

I would assume if the graphics of the rim and those of the tyre are not perfectly aligned as per photo, you can send them back for a full refund...

I generally like Mavic graphics, but that Haute Route blue thing is pretty ghastly... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks (to most) for the feedback. I certainly wouldn't pay the advertised price for these wheels as they are widely available at several hundred £'s less.

Still thinking of various options so decisons yet to be made.
    Canyon Endurace CF SL 9.0 Ultegra di2
    Reilly Gradient GRX600
    Dawes Super Galaxy
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    nellie72 wrote:
    Thanks (to most) for the feedback. I certainly wouldn't pay the advertised price for these wheels as they are widely available at several hundred £'s less.

The cheapest I can find these via a quick Google search is £720 which is still twice the price of Zondas or Fulcrum 3s which are a brilliant wheelset - stiff, robust and rolling on silky smooth and reliable hubs. The Mavics are probably a great wheel but when you can get lighter wheels and some offering an aero advantage for less bucks they wouldn't be on my shopping list. The limited reviews I've seen say they're great climbing wheels so if you spend a lot of time in the hills then maybe they'll suit you?
  • Shortfall wrote:
    nellie72 wrote:
    Thanks (to most) for the feedback. I certainly wouldn't pay the advertised price for these wheels as they are widely available at several hundred £'s less.

The cheapest I can find these via a quick Google search is £720 which is still twice the price of Zondas or Fulcrum 3s which are a brilliant wheelset - stiff, robust and rolling on silky smooth and reliable hubs. The Mavics are probably a great wheel but when you can get lighter wheels and some offering an aero advantage for less bucks they wouldn't be on my shopping list. The limited reviews I've seen say they're great climbing wheels so if you spend a lot of time in the hills then maybe they'll suit you?

They may be great climbing wheels, but when it inevitably comes to descending a wider rim would be most peoples preference.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles