Been upsold to a Giant defy advanced pro 2016

Bluejuice
Bluejuice Posts: 23
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I think the lbs rub their hands when they see me coming.

Started out certain i was after a giant contend sl1 disc, then upsold to a defy advanced, now somehow I ve pulled the trigger on an 2016 advanced pro 2.

Probably total overkill for me but the price was very good.

Getting a bit of post purchase 2nd thoughts and have yet to declare it to the spouse!

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You still have right to cancel so long as its not custom built
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    Its a nice bike was it reduced?
  • You still have right to cancel so long as its not custom built

Thanks Steve, I dont think there's any fear of that, any doubt is more about what else i could have got for that increased budget, the interent research project was limited to about rhe £1200 budget.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    if you're not sure I would cancel
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the advanced pro 3. And I'm very impressed with it
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a nice bike. What persuaded you?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    There are some good deals on these bikes at the moment and the main reason is that on the 2017 bikes they have updated to through bolt from QR which appears to be standard that most manufacturers are adopting.
  • Took the bike for a quick spin and and it just felt the real deal.

Really not bothered but Ultegra, but Im not complaining. For 1600 it look like the best frame I could get my hands on.

PaulMon - think you have picked out my only reservation, its qr when the industry seems to be going for through axle. Not sure how much I should be concerned about difficulty aligning the disc and availability of wheels years down the line.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bluejuice wrote:

PaulMon - think you have picked out my only reservation, its qr when the industry seems to be going for through axle...

I wouldn't worry too much about that. In a few years the 'standard' will change again anyway!
  • Difficulty aligning the disc is negligible - had QR+disc on MTB for >5 years with no issues and QR+disc on a Giant Revolt for 2 with no issues.

As for availability of wheels - I don't see QR+disc hubs disappearing any time soon - so you'll always be able to build (or get built) a wheel - or use a TA/QR converter (the Hope Pro4 I have on the Revolt now come with the relevant doobries to convert to TA - if I need them to... is there a standard diameter for TA yet? You could go for a 12mm TA today and need 15mm in the future... or some other "standard" that isn't...)
  • I think QR is a real advantage. TA is pointless and you'll always be able to find adaptors for TA wheels to fit QR. I have both systems (had QR on the Volagi for nearly 6 years) and would take QR every time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Love my 2016 Defy Advanced! Really comfortable and will see me nicely through Lejog next September. Lifetime guarantee on frame and 2 yr on wheels/components is good too.

I tried out various bikes prior to settling on the Defy - ticked all the boxes for me.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    With a bit of budget creep you could probably get a 2017 Advanced Pro 2 for under £2K and that comes with the carbon SLR wheelset rather than the heavy SL1 wheels. OK its 105 rather than Ultegra but that's a lot cheaper to upgrade than the wheels, and you get the "useless on a road bike, even though its pretty much standard on MTBs everywhere now" through axle.

Most places are offering around 15-20% discount if you buy cash/credit card.