Bridleway tyres

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a commute that includes a mix (about 50/50) of roads and a cycleway that's a relatively smooth dirt track/bridleway.

First thought was the Schwalbe G-One but I can't get it in 28c (can't clear bigger than that.) Next option coming up is the Panaracer Gravel King's and they're looking like a strong favourite. Is there anything similar I should be considering?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If the bridleway is smooth/dirtrack, is a different tyre even required? Would Rubino 28s or similar not suffice?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    whats the track like when its been raining heavily and will you be riding when its wet ??

A couple I use here are fine in damp conditions but in rain are almost impossible without a tire with nobbles
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Not many 28c mud tyres i.e knobbly but plenty for gravel.

So depends what the bridalway is like i suppose
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Schwalbe marathon comes in 25c and 28c, will deal quite easily with a bridleway.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Get the Panaracers already mentioned or Vittoria Randoneer Pro Folding half price at CRC now.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    solboy10 wrote:
    Get the Panaracers already mentioned or Vittoria Randoneer Pro Folding half price at CRC now.

Not sure the Randonneur Pros are available as small as 28mm otherwise I'd have recommended those too. Ditto for Hyper Voyagers.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    My 32mm Randoneers measure 29mm!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    solboy10 wrote:
    My 32mm Randoneers measure 29mm!

But that can change with different rims.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • A few more options than I first thought then - thanks everyone.
  • ETA:

Quick question re mudguards with some of the tyres discussed above. None are knobbly, worst case a little bumpy. I'm looking at SKS Chromoplastic mudguards which size wise I'm either looking at 20-28c or 28-38c. Is it a safe bet that there will be proper clearance with minimal rubbing with the smaller size? I'd rather go small for weight benefits, and as if my route starts to avoid bridleways then I'll consider sticking some 25c Pro4 Endurance's on for 3 season use. But if due to the 'gravel' tag associated with some of the above rubbing is a risk then I'll go big.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I'd move weight down to the bottom of your list of considerations for starters. This is an all seasons, commuter set up you're talking about, not something for racing.

The main thing is to get guards that fit your bike properly and don't rattle or come loose. It might be worth telling us what bike you've got.

The wider guards are probably preferable as you'll have more options for tyres but I can't see how you'll be able to fit them if you only have clearance for 28mm tyres. You're probably best off taking your bike in to your LBS and see what they recommend.

The problem with tight clearances is that if you ever encounter any actual mud then it just accumulates under the guards and makes a horrible scraping sound.
  • Good points - thanks.